95 Taurus : bent aluminum wheel

I bought this 95 Taurus a few years ago and it's always had a noisy wheel. I assumed it had lost a balance weight, so I finally took it in to have the wheels balanced and rotated.
While balancing, the mechanic showed me that the noisy wheel is bent and I could clearly see this while it coasted on the balancing machine - about an inch out-ou-true.
A few questions: Is this dangerous to drive? Where on the car should I put the bent wheel for least effect? Does anyone know if a bent wheel can be straightened or how much a new one costs? This is the fancy, highly polished aluminum wheel.
-- [Default Signature]

The safest location for the rim is in the trunk. Sometimes bent rims can do a number on tie rod ends and other suspension parts. I've used a place in Newton, Mass. (I won't mention the name, they're in the phone book) for straightening and truing rims and I'm sure most large cities have at least one shop that specializes wheel repair.
Happy modeming, Bill

Thanks! I was hoping that it was possible to have an aluminum wheel un-bent and you've given me new hope. I'll start calling around to see about this. I live in Orlando, FL - population 2 million, so I guess you would class this as a large city?
-- [Default Signature]

do
"nomail3" wrote: > > I've used a place in Newton, Mass. (I won't mention the > name, > > they're in the phone book) for straightening and truing > rims and > > I'm sure most large cities have at least one shop that > specializes > > wheel repair. > > Thanks! I was hoping that it was possible to have an aluminum > wheel un-bent and you've given me new hope. I'll start calling > around to see about this. I live in Orlando, FL - population 2 > million, so I guess you would class this as a large city? > > -- > [Default Signature] >
> message > > &nbsp;> >I bought this 95 Taurus a few years ago and it's > always had > &nbsp;> > a noisy wheel. I assumed it had lost a balance > weight, so I > &nbsp;> > finally took it in to have the wheels balanced and > rotated. > &nbsp;> > While balancing, the mechanic showed me that the > noisy > &nbsp;> > wheel is bent and I could clearly see this while it > coasted > &nbsp;> > on the balancing machine - about an inch > out-ou-true. > &nbsp;> > > &nbsp;> > A few questions: Is this dangerous to drive? Where > on the > &nbsp;> > car should I put the bent wheel for least effect? > Does anyone > &nbsp;> > know if a bent wheel can be straightened or how much > a new > &nbsp;> > one costs? This is the fancy, highly polished > aluminum wheel. > &nbsp;> > > &nbsp;> > -- > &nbsp;> > [Default Signature] > &nbsp;> > > &nbsp;> > > &nbsp;> > > > The safest location for the rim is in the trunk. Sometimes > bent rims can > do > > a number on tie rod ends and other suspension parts. I've > used a place in > > Newton, Mass. (I won't mention the name, they're in the > phone book) for > > straightening and truing rims and I'm sure most large cities > have at least > > one shop that specializes wheel repair. > > > > > > Happy modeming, > > Bill > > > >
You should be able to find another rim quite easily from an auto wrecker/recycler any where from $40-$100, if thats not in the budget right now put it as far from the driver as possible ie; the right/passenger rear this way you will barely feel the vibes, also look in classifieds or ebay you might find a great deal on one of these rims. as they are so common
"nomail3" wrote: > > I've used a place in Newton, Mass. (I won't mention the > name, > > they're in the phone book) for straightening and truing > rims and > > I'm sure most large cities have at least one shop that > specializes > > wheel repair. > > Thanks! I was hoping that it was possible to have an aluminum > wheel un-bent and you've given me new hope. I'll start calling > around to see about this. I live in Orlando, FL - population 2 > million, so I guess you would class this as a large city? > > -- > [Default Signature] >
> message > > &nbsp;> >I bought this 95 Taurus a few years ago and it's > always had > &nbsp;> > a noisy wheel. I assumed it had lost a balance > weight, so I > &nbsp;> > finally took it in to have the wheels balanced and > rotated. > &nbsp;> > While balancing, the mechanic showed me that the > noisy > &nbsp;> > wheel is bent and I could clearly see this while it > coasted > &nbsp;> > on the balancing machine - about an inch > out-ou-true. > &nbsp;> > > &nbsp;> > A few questions: Is this dangerous to drive? Where > on the > &nbsp;> > car should I put the bent wheel for least effect? > Does anyone > &nbsp;> > know if a bent wheel can be straightened or how much > a new > &nbsp;> > one costs? This is the fancy, highly polished > aluminum wheel. > &nbsp;> > > &nbsp;> > -- > &nbsp;> > [Default Signature] > &nbsp;> > > &nbsp;> > > &nbsp;> > > > The safest location for the rim is in the trunk. Sometimes > bent rims can > do > > a number on tie rod ends and other suspension parts. I've > used a place in > > Newton, Mass. (I won't mention the name, they're in the > phone book) for > > straightening and truing rims and I'm sure most large cities > have at least > > one shop that specializes wheel repair. > > > > > > Happy modeming, > > Bill > > > >
You should be able to find another rim quite easily from an auto wrecker/recycler any where from $40-$100, if thats not in the budget right now put it as far from the driver as possible ie; the right/passenger rear this way you will barely feel the vibes, also look in classifieds or ebay you might find a great deal on one of these rims. as they are so common

Yes, it is dangerous to drive. The wheel could break and the remains and the tire could part company with your car. I hope you don't have your children riding in this death trap.
There is no way I know of to straighten an aluminum wheel that is bent as badly as you say.
"Scott" <homealone.com> wrote in message

Alloy wheels are actually quite malleable and can be knocked back into shape after what looks like a terminal mishap. Find your local 'wheel-man' and give him a call, he does this all the time. Having said that also try breakers yards, you may pick up a replacement even cheaper than a repair bill.
--
For Welsh Military Flying visit .......
Scott wrote:

I have a set of 3 factory mags from a 91 sable that will fit nicely. The mags have good rubber on them as well. $50.00 remove nospam John