95 Windstar 3.8L losing antifreeze

Hey all,
95 Windstar 3.8L with about 260000kms on it. Just did the S-Belt today, easy job!
However, I also did an oil change and top up of fluids, and the rad was
down about 2 Litres of antifreeze. The heat gauge never shows that its overheating, and there haven't been any puddles on the floor.
Definitely no water in the oil (based on what it looked like in the drain pan after I changed it), so kinda rules out head gasket, no?
Also, since I did the S-Belt, I had a chance to inspect the outside of the water pump housing, and no problems noticed there. I have replaced the rad cap, and filled up the rad and resevoir. I have instructed my parents to watch for leaks now that the system is full, and to take it in for a pressure test to see where the coolant is squeezing out.
Any common problems I may be overlooking?
On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 01:52:12 GMT, "disallow via CarKB.com"

lmfao ya retard the timing cover leaks and the heads are warped LMFAO
sell it ya did good for milage
hurc ast
You may want to check to see if you have a head gasket issue. The 3.8 has a nasty habit of ingesting coolant via a blown head gasket. You can usuay tell by looking at the spark plugs for contamination. If that is the problem it will set you back about $1600 to repair...
If it was head gasket, wouldn't there be water in the oil? Also, I did the plugs not to long ago, they were fine. What would I be looking for?
Diverflyer wrote:

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 03:43:43 GMT, "disallow via CarKB.com"

not really you burn it
foctard
hurc ast

ok well then wouldn't there be plumes of white smoke comin out the tail pipe? Cuz there isn't. And wouldn't there still be sludge and shit in the oil if it was leaking like that?
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

no, there wouldn't necessarily be any coolant in the oil, it depends on where the gasket cracks. rather than a crack across an oil and coolant passage, it can crack between coolant and the inside of the cylinder.. so it would turn to steam and come out the tailpipe instead, look for antifreeze that dripped or condensed under the end of the tailpipe after some idling time.. it will also vent compression through the rad if this is the case (which can be observed with the rad cap off while cranking) a fully blown gasket can make antifreeze hit an open hood doing this, so careful.. my dad got a nice antifreeze shower when I blew mine, good thing it was totally cold! your description of the amount of loss though sounds like it's a most a small crack, likely neither of these things will be happening at an obvservable level.. mine would devour the whole contents of the radiator in minutes and still could be driven..but small cracks tend to grow! I'd say make real certain it isn't just a small hose leak in a hose end, radiator neck, ect. before getting worried about the head gasket hough..

Heres another interesting fact about the cooling system on this van: The coolant resevoir is always empty. So if is the head gasket, wouldn't alot of coolant be forced into the resevoir when the vehicle is running?
Also, this is my parents' van, they aren't what you would call 'up on the maintenance' so this 2 litres that I had to replace was probably an accumulation from the last time I checked it, about 6-8 months ago....
I am thinking its gotta be a small leak from somewhere, and it may not (fingers crossed) be a head gasket issue. maybe waterpump or a hose end somewhere, like a heater hose or something.
Also, there is the smell of antifreeze in the garage. t
Dark1 wrote:

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 16:37:25 GMT, "disallow via CarKB.com"

Timing cover gaskets are another common location for 3.8 coolant leaks.

How about the timing cover, any leaks there. Or howbout a pressure test,maybe that will get you on your way.........

of
between
come
with
hit
in
On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 04:00:27 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Hey!! I just figured it out!! The Hurc isn't calling all of us Foctards, it's part of his sig!!!

snipped-for-privacy@sny.der.on.ca wrote:

Except when he signs as Yugo Girl.
On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 23:50:35 GMT, aarcuda69062

As in a Yugo driver???
snipped-for-privacy@sny.der.on.ca wrote:

Nothing quite so noble....
Some wimmin will only give head in certain brands of vehicles.