97 taurus A/C troubles

I have a 1997 Taurus GL The A/C will work fine for a little bit then for some reason it will start blowing hot air, a few minutes later it starts blowing cold air
again. It does this mostly on hot days. Is this normal for a Ford taurus? Does anyone have an idea on how to fix the problem?
thanks much
Mike.
Mike opined in

Notice any OTHER things not working right? Like the engine idling faster than normal?
Or does it just happen on acceleration?
You're not flooring it when it starts blowing hot air are you? The WOT A/C cutoff while engage if so. If you're not, then you might want to check the clutch (the little triangular shaped thing on the end of your A/C pulley). The magnets on mine started to go out which led to its failure. You could hear, and visibly see the clutch shaking when the pulley was spinning around it, the problem though for almost a year before 2 of the magnets finally shaked off. Happened on a 1500 mile trip to TX and right when we got there the grinding was soooo bad, that whole side of the engine was rust colored from the shavings of ground up metal. My wife and I were soo lucky! Good luck,
Tom