Taurus A/C

I am having my 98K mile 1996 Taurus's AC looked over. The car needs tranny work and the AC has a leak. 2 - 3 lbs refrigerant/year. So far the mechanic has not found the leak. Could be the evaporator, under the dash. If so it is a car killer.

Has anyone had AC issues with Fords or Taurus/Windstars specifically ?

Reply to
Howard Cohen

Use a UV dye next time. On the G3 Taurus/Sable the leak is usualy a line along the right side rail in the engine compartment if it is that slow - it's inside a foam insulation jacket.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

I've never seen an evaporator fail in a Gen3 Taurus. That's not to say they don't, but I do a lot of AC work and have never seen one leak.. You'll probably find that the leak is in the suction line (fatter hose) running along the right inner fender. The foam insulation retains moisture and corrodes the fittings. It's part of a hose assembly (Suction hose, accumulator). $94.00 at Autozone. After 10 years, It couldn't hurt to reseal all of the spring lock fittings and compressor manifold. Cheap insurance.

Reply to
Tom Adkins

Reply to
Howard Cohen