99 Taurus Headlight "De-Hazing" Results

Like many of you with plastic headlamps, my 99 Taurus' ones were hazed/fogged/scratched/pitted/etc....Not much light coming thru! Owned the car since new, never did anything to maintain them...tho I
frequently cleaned them with a filling station window sponge/squeegee (yeah, THAT didnt help!)
So, I set out to polish 'em back to some semblance of decency.
Here's what I tried:
-Toothpaste (Colgate): I've used toothpaste on a terry towel for years as a safe plastic cleaner and polish. Started to take the haze off, but nowhere near aggressive enough.
-Turtle Wax Polishing Compound-green can: Slightly more aggressive but similar to toothpaste.
-Meguiars Step 1 Paint Cleaner: Some effect on haze, nada on scratches.
-Fine Brass wool: tried on small area, WAY too aggressive. Wish I'd had some 0000 steel wool to try out.
-Gel Gloss: Similar to toothpaste & Polishing Compund. Left a nice coating when wiped off. -3M 39002 Perfect-it II Rubbing Compound Fine Cut. Did the best job of all, but still took a lot of elbow grease . Might have been nice to have this in a medium cut version.
I ended up using the 3M 39002 on a soft ~2" wheel on a drill at slow speed. I got all the haze off and mitigated the scratches & pitting. Polished with Gel Gloss. Looks ( & probably works) WAY better.
--Don Don Byrer KJ5KB Radar Tech & Smilin' Commercial Pilot Guy Glider & CFI wannabe kj5kb-at-hotmail.com
"I have slipped the surly bonds of earth; now if I can just land without bending the gear..." "Watch out for those doves...<smack-smack-smack-smack...>"
Don Byrer wrote: <trimmed lots of good info on how NOT to clean headlamps>

The best thing I've found is 3M 39002 with an electric buffer. Anything done by hand is going to take a long time and LOTS of elbow grease. (As you have found) The buffing takes off the original UV coating (Like that's a big loss). There needs to be a protective coating added or the fogging will reappear quickly. Gel Gloss is only a polish. The lenses are now shiny and new looking, but totally unprotected. Give them a bunch (6-10) coats of a Urethane Enamel clear(rattle can if you are good), then keep them cleaned and waxed like you would do the rest of your car.
With the coating polished off the lights I would use Plexus to clean/protect all my clear plastic lenses. Use it regularly on my m/c windshield to clean it, 19k miles and still looking great. I get it at bike dealers, aerosol can spray on, wipe off with microfibre towels. It's made for plastic and it's all I use on my overpriced HD windshield now.
Repairman wrote:

the tip.

do a wev seach for headlight cleaner and you will find all kind of productts that claim to restore headlight covers. One is Briteeyes Headlight Restorer which sells for around $20.
Anyone know where I can buy Plexus in the Toronto, Canada area?
thanks.

On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 18:30:34 -0400, <a> wrote:

Try Canadian Tire, I bought some there a couple of years ago.