93 Taurus - Leaking Headlight Housing

I have a '93 Taurus with 160,000 miles that I've had for a year. Coming home one night from work, in heavy rain, both headlights went out.

When I investigated, I found that both headlight housings had water in them, and both halogen bulbs had shattered. The bulbs were dated "93" (!), so apparently both housings only recently started leaking.

I want to avoid spending $100 for new housings. I've Googled, and found a few recommendations of drilling a drain hole in the bottom of the headlight housing. Has anyone had good results with this?

Reply to
Tony Sivori

Tony:

I hd a 93 Taurus as well with identical issues. I did two things actually.

First I removed the headlight assembly completely. This included taking out the middle decorative Ford Logo piece, but I was not upset by that. Then, I thuroughly cleaned out the headlights and drilled two small holes (no more than 1/8") in each headlight at what I judged to be the lowest points. Then I went through that put fresh silicon around the entire perimeter, let it dry, and then (for added incentive) I also put a line of electrical tape around everything, then put it all back together.

The reason I removed the whole assembly is because it is pretty difficult to get to the headlight mounts (spring clips) from the interior on any of the LX or GL models.

I hope this helps.

--Kevin

T> I have a '93 Taurus with 160,000 miles that I've had for a year. Coming

Reply to
kevin.sparenberg

It does. Thank you.

Reply to
Tony Sivori

I had the same problems with my 93 mustang, and yes i drilled holes in the bottoms and had good luck with it for years after. i fortunatly noticed this problem before the bulbs shattered, i noticed 1-2 inches of water collecting, and drilled them out. i too had to remove the headlight.

Haha, on another note, i had water collecting in the door of my 02 ranger, and had to drill that on the bottom hahahha... man i still hate that truck :P

Reply to
Picasso

I had the same issues. Blew a few bulbs. Tried to seal the lens. Once they leak, you cannot stop it. You can try to drill drain holes. But, if its gone wet too long the mirror coating peals off the back of the housing and even though you bulb is on and good the light output will be weak. I just kept getting different lens out of junk cars for replacements.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Urz

It would have been simpler to just clean out the drain holes. Haha

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I'm going to give the resealing and drain hole method one try.

This car is a high mileage back up vehicle, so I don't want to pour money into it. But my time is important too, and if I haver to do the job twice, I'd just as soon the second time be the last time. So if worst comes to worst, I'll bite the bullet and pay $100 for a pair of new housings.

Reply to
Tony Sivori