about to tackle the 3.8 timing cover gasket

Have an 92 Sable with the 3.8 and the timing cover gasket is leaking like a sieve. Its quite an involved job requiring dropping the exhaust, the oil
pan, removing the water pump and probably several more items which I would rather not have to do. What I'm wondering though is what should I be on the lookout for? Are there any precautions to take as I hear there is a good chance the main bearing will fail after this job is performed. What updated parts if any are available to prevent this from happening again?
Thx.