Aerostar Fuel problem

looking for input from others , I have a '90 Aerostar 3.0 L and have replaced the sending unit and as I did this I checked the levels "briefly" as I put it back
together ..empty, half, full all seemed ok . I did not drive it until two days later, the gauge read half although I had poured in about 1/3 of a tanks worth (close enough) I drove many kms and realized that the level was not dropping. so I started carrying a 20 L jerry can and at (still) "half tank" I ran out of fuel. I put in the 20 l and of I went. the next day when I started the van it read full. this time I exchanged the dash fuel gauge from another Aerostar and it read half this troubled me as it should have been 1/4 of a tank (20 L / 80 L) I have tried a third dash gauge and it persist to tell me that have half a tank. just now I took it to the gas station and added 62 L ( up to the fill neck) and now I reads 1 tic above half tank.