alternator problems

we have replaced the alternator, new battery, and still the voltage is not coming up. We keep burning out alternators.

Reply to
bevhelpme

car, year?

Where did you get the alternator and battery? How do you know the "the voltage is not coming up".

Do you have 'special sound equipment or any other electrical add-on?

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

They are cheap,advance auto, we are on the third alternator, free replacement, now we have been told that a wire going from the alternator to something else,starter relay, the wire has some kind of fuse on the end, is bad. Went to Ford and they don't make it anymore. What do you think?

Reply to
bevhelpme

If you mean the large wire from the alt to the battery side of the starter solenoid -its called a fuse link. If it is bad, it sure wont charge but it wont burn out the alt either. test for 12 volts (battery voltage) at the large wire on the alt. If there is none and the battery isn't dead (check it too) it probably is the fuse link. A good way to find burnt fuse link is to pull on the wire fairly hard and it will stretch the insulation allot telling you there is a clean break in the wire. (fuseable link will have a soft covering compared to wire.) You can by fuse link wire at auto parts stores and use crimp connectors to replace the burnt piece in yours.(at the solenoid, about 2 inches long IIRC) You don't have to by it from Ford.

Reply to
Shoe Salesman