another 98 sable/taurus cooling system problem

In December I posted a typlical cooling system problem that I have been having with my 98 Sable. Basically no heat do to a clogged system. I had the system flushed including the heater core and my heat came back. The
problem now is that I smell antifreeze inside the car when the heat is on. I realize that there is most likely a leak in the heater core. It must be a small leak though because there are no other signs of a leak. I used Bars Leak and it seemed to get better for a short time but now the problem is back.
Beyond replacing the heater core is there anything else that might work to help fix this problem? Is there a better stop leak product that might work? Thanks for your help.
Vinny
Vinny wrote:

Try once more with a Silver Seal / Copper Seal / Bronze Seal type sealer - a "powdery" metallic product sold in a clear plastic tube. It too may be temporary, then you are off to get the core replaced, unless you unload the car while it's working.
Rob
In posted on Fri, 14 Jan 2005 10:03:05 -0500:

I can say when you do get the heater core replaced, it'll probably cost about $650 - $700 at the dealer. I just had mine done a few weeks ago and it's sure nice to have a heater on these cold nights. I went without a heater from April of 2003 to December 2004. Aaaah.
I actually got mine done for $452 plus some tax ('98 Sable) because they gave me 3.5 hours off the labor for some strange reason. I think they charge $55 an hour for labor.