Automatic Transmission Drag Kills Stop and Go Gas Mileage

Page 2 of 2
Dori A Schmetterling wrote:

Most of the auto makers now have a web site that allows you to "build and price" a car, so you can easily check a few models if you want to get concrete numbers.
Matt
Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

You guys keep mentioning ABS being good on ice. I thought ice was one thing that it was universally agreed that ABS is horrible on. What did I miss?
Well, I live in Florida and haven't seen a whole lot of ice, lol. I've read that on some surfaces like gravel, that it's actually best to have some lockup?

Bill Putney wrote:

I think ABS is poor on soft surfaces such as deep snow and sand. These are two exceptions to the "don't lock the wheels" rule. Locked wheels will stop faster in such conditions. I haven't heard about ABS being worse on ice than non-ABS. I'd think it would be better as it could control individual wheels. The only place I believe that ABS is a detriment is in the special cases where you really WANT to be able to lock the wheels.
Matt
Matt Whiting wrote:

OK - I was going from memory (always dangerous) of one of the heated political marathon threads that took place on RAMC a couple of years ago. I defer to you or anyone else on the subject.
Pahgh? I'm offended! That's gotta be some kinda slur or somethin'!

stop
enjoy
warm
parking
driven
on
specialize
identify
other
passenger
you.
Marc wrote:

Thanks for that information - I wasn't aware of the TC-less "automatic" transmissions.

Sorry, I believe that Ferrari VW, and Porsche already have this taken care of (twin clutch manual/auto hybrids). I figure that if it's good enough for a Porsche it might be good enough for a Taurus/Cavalier.
http://www.just-auto.com/features_detail.asp?art 71 http://www.transmission-symposium.com/int/pressrelases.htm
But if Nomen Nescio has a suggestion, I'm sure that it'll be better than this. Perhaps I'm reading yesterday's news.

So, pick a lower gear with your auto-stick when you're stuck in traffic...