Battery drain after startup

Hi all... I noticed on my 2003 F250 4x4 pickup with the 5.4L engine....

About 3 - 8 seconds after i first start the automobile i hear a noise and at the same time the headlights dim just a hair.... then they come back to normal... I was wondering what this had to do with.. is it something with maybe the antilock system or is it something else.. i dont think it is a problem just a concern of mine....

Thanks, Kenny

Reply to
Mercury

Have your alternator checked. Seem to be a short.

Reply to
Doc

no... i beleive its normal.... and the drain only lasts for a fraction of a second... I beleive it is completely normal.... however I want to know what is causing it.

It is almost like the airconditioner is engauging or something like that... the sound appears to come from the rear end but hard to tell... i really dont know what it is...

It sounds like something engauging.. if it were a short then I would see everything dim a lot more... like i said above it only happends right after startup and for a fraction of a second...

is there anything that the trans would do... or maybe something else?

Reply to
Mercury

It is a 2003 pickup. It is probably in warranty. Please take it to the service department and complain about it. They should be able to tell you (or fix it).

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I see something similar on my CV. I think it is the electric cooling fan coming on since I often hear a fan sound when it happens. I think it is a brief self-test, but I have no facts to support this idea. It has always been there, tho, and mine is a '95...

PoD

Reply to
Paul of Dayton

im beginning to think its antilock self test.... it cycles the antilock brakes really quick and makes sure they operate....

My assumption.. ill check with the dealer some time soon

Reply to
Mercury

Read this somewhere The 4-wheel anti-lock brake system is self-monitoring. When the ignition switch is turned to the RUN position, the anti-lock brake control module will perform a preliminary self-check on the anti-lock electrical system indicated by a three second illumination of the yellow ABS wanting indicator.

Dunno maybe this is it

Reply to
Mercury

My Focus (which does not have ABS) does the same thing. I think that the cooling fan theory is the best theory.

Reply to
Lewin A.R.W. Edwards