Best Year for Windstar to Buy

Is there a year above 1996 in the Windstar that have been fairly good for repairs? What engine do I stay away from?

says...

I think the main issue has been the transmission for most any year. It's the same used for the Taurus, but the heavier Windstar is a bigger strain on an already troublesome transmission.
Also.... be aware that the late model winstar relies heavily on networked modules.... if you are a DIYer and experience electrical gremlins, the frustrationfactor is 11 out of 10.