'03 Windstar: Overspeed warning chime?

I have an '03 Windstar that I bought as a dealer demo at the end of August. I've been hearing an occasional repeating chime when I'm driving on the highway, but until today, I couldn't figure out what was causing it: it wasn't the door open or signal on chime, and the dealer couldn't find any malfunctions when I brought it in. Today, I determined that the chime appears to go on when I exceed 75 miles per hour (which, of course, I only did as an experiment!). It starts when the (analog) speedometer hits about 76, and cuts out as soon as I slow below that level. So here's the question: Does the Windstar have an overspeed warning the manual doesn't talk about? Or if it's not standard, is it possible the dealer installed one so the demo's employee drivers didn't overstress the thing before they could sell it? Thanks for any insight, as I'd like some info. before I call the dealer about it. {Windstar Driver}

Reply to
Windstar Driver

after a quick googling.. yes there are such devices on the car... annoying i suppose, glad my truck doesnt have it. There should be a way to disable it. I also read that every time you go that fast it records it into EEROM in the Car's computer... only something i read.. you will have to do some research on your own to be sure.. i would ask the dealer... they dont care if you go mach 5. The law cares not the dealer.

Reply to
Ken Gallo Jr

Reply to
Windstar Driver

If the car has overdrive how could it be turning so many RPM as to over-speed the engine at only 76 MPH? Why would Ford installa chime instead of simply implementing a rev limiter to _prevent_ engine damage instead of just a chime to let you know something *might* be about to let loose?

experiment!).

Reply to
Cory Dunkle

I think we have a bit of confusion regarding overspeed... One is talking about the actual speed of the vehicle, the other is thinking of over revving the engine...

Reply to
Steve Reinis

I see... Perhaps the tires are only speed rated toa bit above 76 MPH? If that is the case isn't a speed governer typically put in place a bit before the max rated speed of the factory equipped tires?

malfunctions

Reply to
Cory Dunkle

it has to do with driving too fast not about possibly damagig the engine... if you read my last reply i think you will get a better understanding about the original question...

basically the original poster gets a chime everytime he goes over 75 MPH in the car. Most likely there is a speed limiter like on my 03 f250 at 100 mph.. I noticed that with mine theres a fuel reduction, until i get to 95 i beleive... I dont like driving that fast so i dont know the firmware specifics... however I do know that 75+ shouldnt hurt a transmission.. most roads in the usa are now limit to 75 (Major highways anyway)

I drive 75 to 80 on the highways by me.

The chime the poster was referring to has nothing to do with possible engine damage, only to inform the driver they are going too fast and that the speed is being possibly recorded into the automobiles "black box"

This is so if there is an accident the law knows the person driving was speeding.. i read about it a little bit but my interests do not go that deep so i stopped after reading a few places about it. However try google.. it can be seen that these speed chimes and EEROMS do exist on newer cars and are meant for data collection if something bad were to occur... nothing more (I beleive)

Reply to
Ken Gallo Jr

Re: '03 Windstar: Overspeed warning chime? Group: alt.autos.ford Date: Mon, Jan 26, 2004, 3:52am (EST+5) From: snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net (Cory=A0Dunkle)

I see... Perhaps the tires are only speed rated toa bit above 76 MPH? If that is the case isn't a speed governer typically put in place a bit before the max rated speed of the factory equipped tires?

Reply to
Eric Toline

malfunctions

Reply to
Jerry

Well, the service bay at the dealership says they have no idea about this, but I have an appointment to check it out anyway next month. I'll try to post a follow up. {Windstar Driver}

Reply to
Windstar Driver

Reply to
Thomas Moats

Reply to
Thomas Moats

Reply to
Thomas Moats

Reply to
Thomas Moats

Well, guess what I found in a search of old Usenet articles on groups.google.com? In an article from December of '01, David A. Riek wrote, "I have a 2001 Ford Windstar SE. I recently took a trip in this thing and discovered, much to my amazement, that when I reach 75MPH, a "chime" goes on, and stays on, until I get back under 75MPH." Someone suggested that there was a speed alarm as part of the electronic console, though neither Mr. Riek nor I could find any reference to it in the manual, and obviously, my dealer doesn't know of it. I'm going to run through the system in the van tomorrow and see if I can find it. {Jonathan}

Reply to
Windstar Driver

I was told by a Ford dealership this morning that it was there to alert the driver that they were going faster then 75 MPH. and nothing more. I was told that there was no "Black Box" or other recording device on the vehicle unless a company specificly ask for one such as tractor trailers or buisnesses that want to track there employees driving habits. the reason it is installed on some vehicles is that when you drive them you may hit higher speeds and not even know it. such as a Crown Vic where 85 feels as smooth as 60 with out any noticible differance in the engine or stress sounds on the vehicle. if you hear your chime it should cause you to look at the speedometer and maybe reduce your speed.It was put on to help you avoid higher speeds,Possible Collisions, and tickets.

IceMan

Reply to
IceMan

Reply to
Windstar Driver

I remember one on a friend's 1968 Olds Cutlass Supreme. It was an adjustable needle that you could rotate on the circular speedometer, and if the speedometer needle got up to it, it would emit a buzzing sound.

If you wanted to drive 90 mph or so you simply rotated the speed alert needle all the way to 120 mph on the speedo.

We were in high school and he frequently was asked by his father why the speed alert needle was set at such a high speed when he would forget to set it back to 65 mph or so. Can you say, "busted?" :)

Reply to
Rutger6559

Ford did have a system on the T-Bird/Cougar in the 90's that worked as described. I was set by pushing a button at a particular speed. IF one exceed that speed by 5 MPH it would enunciate. His question was, how to disengage the setting. As I recall one simply pressed the button when the vehicle was not moving.

mike hunt

Thomas Moats wrote:

Reply to
BigJohnson

Don't worry Windstars stop on their own WAY to frequently.

Noob

speeds,Possible

Reply to
Kim Neubert