It's that time of year again

Hi all I'm doing my yearly tuneup & winterizing on my 95 GMC, 1/2 ton, 4.3, 5 speed. It's got 135k on it & no complaints. I'm thinking about doing it's first transmission & rear end fluid change. The truck has the normal 5 speed rattle & was hoping that someone might have come up with a cure for it by now. Started using Mobil 1 back in 99 & like it, & was thinking of going to synthetic fluids in the trans & rear, so,,, do you guys have a favorite synthetic for your T & R ??? And,,, am I gonna always have the 5 speed rattle ??? Thanks Rich

Reply to
RGH

5-speed rattle is likely the input shaft bearing; only fix is to replace it. You're about 100k overdue for your "first" rear end oil change. That aside, I use Mobil 1 75W90 in my 88' C1500's rear axle and love it.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"
5-speed rattle is likely the input shaft bearing; only fix is to replace it. You're about 100k overdue for your "first" rear end oil change. That aside, I use Mobil 1 75W90 in my 88' C1500's rear axle and love it.

Doc

I know I should've done it sooner but never really thought about. It's been a good truck too. Not a leak anywhere, (knock on wood) I'm gonna start taking a little better care of it. I'll use the Mobil 1 in the rear axle & see if it helps my mileage. Can I use it in my transmission too or is there something else made for that ?? (I hate to think about pulling that tranny just to cure the noise) Thanks for the reply Rich

Reply to
RGH

Your tranny probably calls for 80W90.................if it does, you can use Mobil 1's 75W90.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

. .

It's that time of year again Group: alt.trucks.chevy Date: Thu, Oct 9, 2003, 8:06pm (CDT+5) From: snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net (RGH) Hi all =A0=A0=A0=A0I'm doing my yearly tuneup & winterizing on my 95 GMC, 1/2 ton, 4.3, 5 speed. It's got 135k on it & no complaints.

I'm thinking about doing it's first transmission & rear end fluid change.

The truck has the normal 5 speed rattle & was hoping that someone might have come up with a cure for it by now. Started using Mobil 1 back in 99 & like it, & was thinking of going to synthetic fluids in the trans & rear, so,,,

Do you guys have a favorite synthetic for your T & R ???

And,,, am I gonna always have the 5 speed rattle ???

Thanks =A0=A0Rich ..... Rich,

No favorite brand....just use good quality.

and.....

no you won't have to live with the rattle for ever......

trust me on that.....

scrib abell ~:~

Reply to
Scribb Abell

Your tranny probably calls for 80W90.................if it does, you can use Mobil 1's 75W90.

Doc

Thanks Doc I'll check some numbers & see what I've got,

Group: alt.trucks.chevy Date: Thu, Oct 9, 2003, 8:06pm (CDT+5) From: snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net (RGH)

The truck has the normal 5 speed rattle & was hoping that someone might have come up with a cure for it by now. Started using Mobil 1 back in 99 & like it, & was thinking of going to synthetic fluids in the trans & rear, so,,,

Do you guys have a favorite synthetic for your T & R ??? And,,, am I gonna always have the 5 speed rattle ???

..... Rich,

No favorite brand....just use good quality. and..... no you won't have to live with the rattle for ever......

trust me on that.....

scrib abell ~:~ Does this mean that I can look forward to pullin it soon ??? Thanks Rich

Reply to
RGH

well, I checked the numbers on it and it says Muncie and it's a 5 speed. there was a tag on it and the tag says 61GYZM05S247. At the right rear of the housing it says 18564. So can I use the synthetic in it? Thanks, Rich

Reply to
RGH

IIRC Muncie 5-speeds call for 80W90, so yes, you can use Mobil 1 75W90 w/o any problems.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Hate to have to ask but are you damn sure that tranny is a muncie? I am just asking cause if it is the getrag 5 speed you will cause damage putting

Reply to
sidewinder

Reply to
sidewinder