Buying family car: question on gas mileage

I have an 85 Mercedes sedan right now. I like the diesel engine which gets about 27 mpg highway. I am sold on diesel, wouldn't even consider a conventional gas -powered vehicle. I am researching larger family-sized
vehicles (used). Is there such a thing as a diesel truck (would have to be extended cab) or a van that gets similar gas mileage, or does having ANY large family vehicle mean poor gas mileage?
The EPA 2003 fuel mileage guide lists the Lincoln Town car, the biggest V8 car available today, at 18/25. Diesel fuel, around here any way, is 30C a gallon more expensive than the 87 octane gasoline the Town Car uses, so I guess you need not worry about buying a conventional gas powered vehicle.
mike hunt
Jim Caldwell wrote:

Jim Caldwell opined in

Go to Ebay motors and search "diesel"...
You'll see that, other than Mercedes, diesel means "truck".
[opinion] Your world and welcome to it.. but when they make a reliable diesel that doesnt sound like a diesel, I would consider it.
Otherwise I find them to be obnoxious, expensive to repair and generally not worth the effort. [/opinion]
Backyard Mechanic wrote:

Or, it could also mean "VW Jetta Wagon." They run on Diesel.
However, I will say that I'm no champion of VWs. Many people love them. Others, like myself, have had them burst into flame before the first payment on the car loan was due.
Isaiah Beard opined in

Well, yeah... but he said he wanted a RELIABLE car.

-snicker- or maybe after the third trip to the dealer for the same complaint?
Jim Caldwell opined in

Do a little research on mass and energy required to move same.
Poor is such a subjective term, is it not?