CHMSL on a 02 Taurus/Sable

I know this is a Ford Group but the Sable is pretty much a Taurus and I would like to know how to replace the center high mounted stop lamp on a 2002 Mercury
Sable? I looked at the owners manual and they said to replace the entire assembly, I tried to take it out and it seems hard to take out. Is there an easy way to do this?
TIA Jeff

"Ford" stands for Manufacturer
Define 'hard to take out'.. not it doesnt just clip in.
you pay..DEAL with it!
Any way to send a picture of the problem assembly? Where is the Lamp located; in the trunk or a spoiler? Is it a lamp unit or an LED unit? Explain as much as possible, it will help us to help you...
Gerald
The lamp assembly is in the back window not the spoiler type. The way its angled into the window its very hard to take out. The owners manual says to pry the assembly away from the window. The thing that confuses me is that the owners manual says that the whole assembly needs replaced which I find hard to imagine that I cant just replace a bulb. This happened with my 94 Taurus, all I did was get in the trunk, under the stop light and removed the bad bulb, but this car seems a little more difficult. I could try doing the same thing for this car but the owners manual makes no mention of fixing the problem this way.
Thanks again for the help.
- Jeff

@hotmail.com says...

Are you certain yours uses bulbs? I thought Ford went to LED's around 2001 or 2002.
I never gave that a though. Thats interesting, I will check that out.
says...

Yes I think Andrew is right, but do test the curcuit to see if you are getting power while braking. It might not be the light assm. It might be you are not getting power. Ford wiring has been much more prone to failure then a solid state unit. Ford wiring SUCKS has since I was a kid, they make a great motor, GM although makes great wires and sh*tty motors. They all make bad Transmissions! Allison should take over the tranny market or give it to the Japanese. Hey opinion night for me...
Gerald
Thanks for the info. I will do that.
Jeff

I took the assembly out and did indeed find it was led rather than bulbs, it will cost 51.00 for a new assembly and I have only had the car for close to 3 weeks. I went to the dealer tonight to try to get them to pay especially if its the wiring. I should find out what they will do tomorrow.
says...