E85 on older vehicles

Has anybody tried running E85 gas in any vehicles other than the ones on the list of "official" E85-compatible Ford vehicles? Somebody told me that E85 will work just fine in older ones. I have a 1999
Explorer with the SOHC 4.0L V6, and Id like to know if it will run E85 without any problems, because I could sure use a $0.20/gallon price break right about now.
Even if you can run it, it contains less BTU per unit, which means you will burn more fuel to make the same distance. Most of the time the "savings" doesn't work out...
ivorycruncher wrote:

says...

Just like the current crop of hybrids, it doesn't make sense for your personal econmics (few will ever make up the higher initial price). But, the reduction in crude-oil used has more far-reaching effects.
You could check your service manual to see if it can use E85.
Otherwise you'll have to make mods to your car. I think you'd need at the very least stainless steel fuel lines and reprogram the computer (easy to do with a resistor in the MAF sensor circuit). I don't know what else, but I figure that I could do the resistor mod to my car and just use junkyard parts to replace things like fuel lines when they break.