Is E85 gas safe?

I see this cheaper gas on some stations: E85 for $3/g when unleaded reg is $4/g. However, some say it is bad for car engines (I have 98 Camry). If so, what is it aimed at? :)

Reply to
Newbie

It's aimed at vehicles that were specifically built to run on E-85.

If yours wasn't, don't use it.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

E85 gasoline is 85% ethanol, 15% gasoline. Ethanol has less heating energy per gallon than gasoline plus it is a much stronger solvent. It will give less mileage than straight gasoline plus it tends to degrade or dissolve some plastic and rubber components of the fuel system unless the fuel system is designed to use E85. Your '98 Camry isn't so, although it will run fine for a while, you will end up with a major repair bill is you use if for an extended period of time. Stick with straight gasoline and, if possible, I would stay away from ethanol at any percentage.

Jack

Reply to
Retired VIP

Check your owner's manual. Mine (07 Camry Hybrid) states that I can use up to 10% ethanol, which is fortunate because my state (Oregon) mandated 10% ethanol in all gasoline. Some states use(d) 10% MTBE in winter months.

Reply to
Route 101©

Then I'm in trouble. We have had 10% Ethanol in Mass for quite a while...

Reply to
Hachiroku

I thought all gas had some ethanol in it? Tony

Reply to
Anthony Diodati

Maybe, maybe not. 10% is supposed to be safe while 85% isn't. It would seem to me that if 85% is a strong solvent then 10% would still act as a solvent, just not as strong. Ethanol is ethanol regardless of the concentration. However, if you can't get anything but 10% then you have no choice. Here in Ohio there is a state law that pumps dispensing gas with ethanol in it are supposed to be labeled.

Jack

Reply to
Retired VIP

Regular gas is 10% alcohol, for years the gas companys tried to convince us that was bad for your car. But it does give much less power-mpg, and when you figure the lower price and lower mpg gasolene is a better deal.

Reply to
ransley

10% wont hurt anything built after the 70s, 85% may not also, but you car may not start or run on e85. But I run well on 85% ethanol- whiskey
Reply to
ransley

Only those FlexFuel vehicles designed for E85 can safely us E85. Newer cars have a symbol on the gas cap that indicates whether E85 can be use or not. I have an '08 and an '09 and both are marked that E85 can not be used.

Reply to
Mike hunt

: Regular gas is 10% alcohol, for years the gas companys tried to : convince us that was bad for your car. But it does give much less : power-mpg, and when you figure the lower price and lower mpg gasolene : is a better deal.

So we would be better off paying extra for mid-grade or even premium?

Reply to
AKT

I watch the agriculture shows and they push push push ethanol, but I have yet to see them talk about an ethanol fueled tractor. Now it seems to me that if ethanol was such a great green fuel they ought to power their tractors with the stuff. You sure don't want the stuff in an older lawnmower or chainsaw the fuel lines will turn to gum.

Reply to
Fat Moe

A lot of gasoline has 10% ethanol. Almost all cars able to use this without any problems, except that the cars get about 3% less than with pure gasoline.

So using E10 (90% gasoline and 10% ethanol) is just fine for your car.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

In many places, gasoline is sold with 10% ethanol, but not all places. It depends on where you live and what the gasoline companies do.

But 3% less mileage, nearly the same power.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Farm tractors use so little fuel (all tractors combined) compared to all the fuel cars use, that the tractors burn almost no fuel. Plus, many tractors burn biodiesel or diesel.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

What it amounts to is ethanol does not store well, is hygroscopic and does not have the energy per gallon of diesel. In an industrial engine it is not an ideal fuel. Overall it's not as good as gasoline or diesel as a fuel.

Reply to
Fat Moe

It depends, but you usually get more MPG per gallon by using pure gas. When the alcohol or other grain derived fuels are used the milage will go down. The selling point is the e85 or whatever is renewable. YOu grow more corn to make it. It may take more enegery to grow and process corn than to produce gas from oil , but we should be able to grow corn when the oil runs out. It also helps lower the price of gas as not as much is used. In the long run, it may cost more to use the e85 types, but it is one of the feel good things. Many things are like that. Just as the plastic bags save trees, they will not decompose and are filling up the land fills.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

They push for it so the farmers can stay in business. Something has to take the place of tobacco..

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Me too...

Make that NINETY FIVE percent!

Or was that this one...

Hachiroku

If you have a Honda or Ford certified to use E85 then it's safe. Otherwise NO.

Reply to
johngdole