egr

I just spent $500 replacing the plugs, cap, rotor, EGR valve, and EGR solenoid on my 96 Aspire and the check engine light came back on after the car had been on the road again less than 25 miles from the shop. I was
assured by the mechanic ( note mechanic, not technician) that his shop would be able to correctly diagnose the check engine light's source. On the invoice the mechanic wrote "May need additional cleaning in the EGR ports". When he talked about this he said it was a labor intensive job that would be 3 to 4 hour labor time. Before I throw in another 400 bucks in this vehicle should I perhaps take it to the Ford garage to have them analyze the cause of the check engine light? Thanks in advance
paul s wrote:

what he is probably talking about is that the passage inside the intake manifold that goes from the EGR valve to the Throttle Valve might be or is probably blocked up by carbon that is sucked up into it via the EGR valve coming from the exhaust.... it is expained on the Ford Contour and is pretty much the problem with a trouble code P0401.. i would go to www.contour.org web site and check it out and do a search or ask the same     question on it... it is probably not labor intensive, just get two new gaskets(one for the EGR and one for the Throttle body) should not cost more that $5.00 for both) take both off and look at the manifold there and see alot of carbon buildup.. i would use some throttle body cleaner on it and a wire brush(probably a gun bore cleaning brush you get at walmarts for about $3.00... and some wire to pickout the carbon particles(you dont want any falling into the intake manifold)... and before starting stuff a rag into the large passage of the intake so no junk falls down there.....