Engines

Page 1 of 2
What is the biggest engine with twin turbos that I can put into a 2000 Ford Escort ZX2? And while at that, what would be the best 5-speed manual transmission, clutch, short shifter, and anything I would need to replace
the whole drivetrain? Do you know apporximately how much each would cost? I want these brand new too, if possible.
c_cook2007 wrote:

http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Rapids/2068/boyette8.jpg
or
http://tinyurl.com/2tcj99
http://www.alarconyharris.com/_prensa/allison_transmission/allison_img/060626_allison_hamburgo_02.jpg
trainfan1 wrote:

ROTFL

http://www.alarconyharris.com/_prensa/allison_transmission/allison_img/060626_allison_hamburgo_02.jpg
ROFLMAO!!! Trainman those lawnmower engines were too damn funny, and then the allison transmission to boot!!! OMG, what is this world coming to??? LMAO

A 460 with a Lenco. You may have to do some serious mods.
Al

nah. I think a 12 cylinder cat diesel with a quadraplex trans would be an easier fit, and will supply adequate power for an escort ZX2. plus, it will look totally whack afterwards with the dual air intake runners in the hood, and dual exhaust pipes out the back..
Do you know how much either one would cost and what else would need to be done to it?

Look into a 2.3 liter Tbird turbo and possibly an MTX-4 tranny, lots of discussion over at www.FEOA.net. They're not talking briggs & stratton either. It can be done if you really want it... lots of mods, lots of money.
You can also mod your ZX2 engine quite a bit (turbo or whatever), lots of aftermarket and you'll might get the same amount of power.

I think you're barking up the wrong tree. The Escort is a Front wheel drive car. While you can make it so that it has say 500 hp, the problem is that you will have terrible torque steer. By the time that you have sunk thousands of dollars into this, you will have 7-year old car with more power than you can control. You can add some performance parts, like new headers, maybe an improved ignition system, but to put in a new engine and transmission is overkill. And too expensive. If you want some that powerful, get a Mustang or 'Vette.
Here is a forum you can join: ://www.feoa.net/modules.php?name=Forums
You can companies that sell performance parts by searching google or yahoo with the keywords ford escort performance. The parts are sort of expensive and I doubt that you will gain enough power to make it worthwhile.
Jeff
Would it be possible to make it a rwd vehicle? I don't really care how much it costs. I want the 2000 Ford Escort ZX2 body with as much horsepower as I can get out of it and still be able to drive it.

I guess you could.
But it has rarely been done before. There is a limited amount of engine space. The engine space has been designed for a front wheel drive engine.
I don't think there is a tunnel for the driveshaft. So you would have to do underbody work.
The bottom line is that you have a car that has been designed for front wheel drive. It has not been designed for lots of power or rear wheel drive.
You can also get a 2.3 litre engine from Cosworth. 250 HP. And only $13,000.
If you want a car that has lots of horse power get a Dodge Viper. And it is only about $90k, for a 2006 model. The cool thing is that it will be worth a lot in 10 years. And it looks cool. And it has 650 HP. And you don't have to put in a new engine.
Jeff
I don't want a viper. I want the Ford Escort ZX2 body because it wasn't made for a lot of power. Everyone would over look it and nobody has done this a whole lot before. I want an extremely unique 2000 Ford Escort ZX2 and I want around 300HP if not more than that if I can get it. Even it is just buy the exact same engine that I have in the car and doing a lot of modifications to it. I don't care. I just want to know what is the best way for me to get the most horsepower out of my car. Then approximately how much all of the parts would cost and where I would be able to buy them.
c_cook2007 wrote:

One way to get what you want is to get another identical drivetrain to the one you have,(but make them both automatics) and install it where the rear wheels are. You could retain all stock appearance & emissions controls, less a back seat, w/ all wheel drive. These mods are rocket sleds even w/ modest stock HP ratings.
Nothing you are proposing is going to be inexpensive.
Rob
I just want one drivetrain. Where would I get the best exhaust for my car? What would I get the best intake? Would it be possible to at atleast one turbo to my car too? By exhaust I mean the whole thing. I would want to buy it all at once.
c_cook2007 wrote:

Build a Funny car and get it over with. :)
> Build a Funny car and get it over with. :)

How 'bout Funny with a nice, nice jet engine kinda like Art Arfons Green Monster of many years ago?
Recommend Pratt & Whitney F100-PW-220 (and ferget about front vs rear drive).
Orta rip, folks! <dg>
Snort, Puddin'
"Life is nothing but a competition to be the criminal rather than the victim." - Bertrand Russell

You really need to explore the forums at www.feoa.net. The bottom line is that this sort of work is not what the people in this newsgroup do on a regular basis. There is also a newsgroup better suited to your needs, although I don't know which one. (Please do keep asking questions here, though. There are a lot of smart people.)
Does anyone know where I can actually buy performance parts, interior and exterior styling parts, and anything else to do to a 2000 Ford Escort ZX2. The more parts on one website, the better. They have to fit my vehicle with no modifications to the parts though.

There is this neat site. It is called, "Google." You can go here: www.google.com. Search keywords ford escort zx2 performance.