Ford powers up for pickup bragging rights

Ford powers up for pickup bragging rights August 5, 2010 - 11:21 am ET
Kudos to Ford Motor Co. - those early buyers won't be penalized. Ford announced this week that everyone who purchased a diesel-powered 2011 Super
Duty truck this year is being offered a free software upgrade that will boost engine performance.
The 2011 truck and the new diesel engine went on sale in April. About 35,000 trucks are eligible for the upgrade.
Ford said a software change at the dealership will give the engine a boost in torque -- 65 pounds-feet -- and another 10 hp. The end result will give Ford's new 6.7-liter turbocharged V-8 a whopping 800 pounds-feet of torque and 400 hp. Ford says it will take just 30 minutes at the dealership to make the software change.
Beginning this week, diesel-powered Super Dutys coming off the assembly line will receive those same enhancements.
This is all about bragging rights, of course. Which pickup has payload and towing leadership? Ford says its F-350 is stronger than the 2011 Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra 3500 models. Those vehicles offer a re-engineered turbocharged 6.6-liter V-8, which has a dramatic increase in horsepower and torque over the 2010 engine. GM's Duramax diesel puts out 765 pounds feet of torque and 397 hp.
Kudos go to Ford for taking care of its early 2011 Super Duty customers. The automaker could have easily ignored those buyers and said, "Sorry, guys."
Instead, the guys and gals who drive those Fords will be bragging at the town bar, construction site or Farm and Fleet about the free, unexpected boost in torque and horsepower.
And, 35,000 -- that's a lot of surprised and happy Super Duty drivers singing the praises of Ford!
You can reach Rick Kranz at snipped-for-privacy@crain.com
Read more: http://www.autonews.com/article/20100805/BLOG06/100809899/-1

The average redneck compensating for a small penis gotta have the biggest truck imaginable doesn't use it for anything but conspicuous consumption and to haul his fat ass around for his daily commute. The extra 10HP won't make the slightest difference.
wrote: >>This is all about bragging rights, of course. Which pickup has payload

So what? America is (or was) about what you /wanted/, not about what somebody thought you /should/ want. It was called "freedom", and it's been slowly disappearing since about 1914.
I drive a little Japmobile with a sewing-machine engine. And I like it that way. But should I use my complacency to sneer at those who like things bigger? Maybe one day I'll want something big and powerful for myself. I'd like to know that--should that day come--nobody will interfere with my right to be let alone to avail myself of that desire.
--
Tegger

On Thu, 5 Aug 2010 23:46:21 +0000 (UTC), Tegger

Tremendously accelerated since 9-11.

Have we already become accustomed to what the government is telling us we must do? The feds already tell you how much of what we earn must go to the government, the minimum amount you MUST pay someone to work for you, how many miles per gallon we must get on the cars we buy with our own money, how much water we can use in our toilets and our washing machines, how that stuff we exhale CO2 is killing the planet and now they have even added what health insurance we must BUY.

People should not be in a hurry to tell others what to do, they may run afoul of the supremacy clause! Don't they realize that's the federal government job? LOL

As the proud-ish owner of a Ford pickemup truck with three hundred cubic inches of raging power, I can say with confidence that YES I would certainly like an extra 10 HP :)
On the upside, it runs and it's paid for.
nate
Seems it is always the guys that can not afford, what someone can, that are the first to talk about someone's else's equipment? LOL

C. E. White wrote:

The sad part is most of these aren't at the construction site, a farm, or a fleet whatever that means...
They are at the mall, the grocery store, or double or quadruple parked downtown shopping.
I got a couple doughhead friends that think its cool to drive a diesel... yet they paid $20k more for their truck, and end up spending 6 times what i do in service, and hands down an injector fails or they're in at the dealer for some other F-Diesel related screw up.
God knows what the Urea tanks are going to bring... i say more F-ups in the F-x50
Come on admit it Picasso, you would love to have one of those 2011 F150's, rather than your Tundra on which you still owe 50 payments, right?

Mike wrote:

Haha, Yes I would like to have one.
They look pretty sharp. I don't have enough to tow with one though!

That is why that Ford should release the F150 and Expedition with a V6 turbo diesel. Or even that 4.4L V8 turbo diesel that Ford owns.
Lynn
Ford would, IF there was more of a market for diesel engines in the US. The fact is in the US only around 5% of the market, as opposed to Europe, where diesels are 53% of the market and the reason Ford offers so many diesel models there.

Go to a Mercedes or VW dealer. Try to find a diesel on the lot. Not gonna happen ! They will put you on a list, usually with no color options. Also, try to buy a diesel for less than list price, the sales people just laugh at you.
Lynn

Really? Maybe things have changed in the last few years. Back when I bought my last new car, the local VW dealer was pushing a Jetta TDI with substantial discounts. It was a dog. I am definitely not a fan of VWs, but I had the theory that a TDI was the perfect car for me to use to commute between my "real" job and my farm (300 mile round trip). Driving a truck back and forth was not cheap. However after one test drive I nixed that theory and decided the cost of gas was not all that bad. If the VW diesel is the best you can get, I am not likely to look at a diesel again any time soon. For the record, I dislike diesel trucks too - except when you need to tow a trailer. When I bought my current truck, I test drove a couple of diesels and hated them. I've borrowed my neighbor's HD Silverado diesel occasionally and it is a fine tow vehicle, but for most jobs it is noisy overkill. If I could afford two trucks, I wouldn't mind having a HD diesel pickup, but since I can only afford one, I'll stick with a gas truck and depend on the kindness of neighbors when I need something really heavy towed.
For grins, I just checked the local VW dealer, they are advertising a VW Jetta TDI with $1560 off the list price - and that is before any negotiation. They have around 16 Jetta TDIs on the lot (only 1 Golf TDI however). See http://www.southernstatesvolkswagen.net/ to confirm.
Ed
C. E. White wrote:

How old is that chev diesel? The newer duramax are anything but noisy... they are probably more quiet than the f150 4.6L I had!
Ford doesn't hold a candle to the duramax when it comes to diesel racket.

Does anyone here know exactly what model truck they got the engine for the Ford GT from?
--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Welllll... they actually didn't. The 5.4 in the GT is an aluminum block engine and, AFAIK, shares little more than bore and stroke with either the 5.4 2V or 5.4 3V (both of these being cast iron blocks. The aluminum 4V heads are unique to the GT.
The GT uses a belt driven, externally mounted oil pump... the oil filter is also unique to the GT.
Sources for this information are the Ford factory workshop manuals and the new model training course for the 2005 Ford GT.

What do you know, a top poster that actually replied something useful. Thanks for that. The only question I'd have if this has changed during the life of the Ford GT. Specifically when it first came on the market.
--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

On 08/05/2010 01:45 PM, C. E. White wrote: <snip spam>
sure ed, you don't take the detroit dollar - you're just a farmer!
--
nomina rutrum rutrum