Help. Really hot hose keeps burning through

I have a 91 taurus wagon. Recently I had some work done on the engine. Lately, I noticed a noise. I looked around and found that a 5/8" heater hose had burned through. The hose connects a short
upright pipe coming up from what looks like a manifold to a longish horizontal pipe that goes right to left at the rear of the engine. The hose was about 6 inches long. The location of this assembly is the left rear of the engine compartment when facing the engine from the front.
I went to the auto supply and got a length of heater hose and connected it with the two hose clamps. I started the car and the noise seemed to disappear. Great. I went for a short trip and when I was returning home, I heard the noise again. When I got home, I popped the hood and sure enough, the new hose had a hole burned in it.
So my question is, is it normal for that kind of heat to be present at that location and do I need a special kind of hose that will contain the heat.
Any help is really appreciated. Thanks, bill
Just wondering something,did you get the work done by a reputable mechanic? Its sounds as though a heat riser has been modofied. This riser may be used to acctuate the choke mechanism if this model is carbed. You may also want to check,if this hose is part of the heating system if you have a blockage in the heater core.

the
it.
at
Sounds like you have a leak at the exhaust manifold and the exhaust gas is burning the hose...
Do you hear exhaust sound coming from it?
Sounds like some jerk thought you could use rubber in the EGR system.

system.
I guess I should have read the question more closely : )
On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 01:45:06 GMT, Backyard Mechanic
Well, the noise sounds like a tapping that could very well be exhaust noise. And, remember, after the hose I put on was connected, and before the new one I put on burned through, it had silenced the noise. So. I would think it was perhaps exhaust rather than engine.

What is the EGR system? (I am obviously not a mechanic.)
If so, what is the likely solution? Do I need a special, "non-rubber" hose, or something?

What is the EGR system, anyway? (I am obviously not a mechanic.)

Exhaust gas recirculation, emissions lowering (and necessary).
Call or shop around.. suggest NAPA.. for a suitable replacement.
If you find it, take it back to that shop, insist they install it for free. WHILE YOU WATCH. Or just do it yourself then go have a talk with the shop manager
It really sounds like the steel tube from the exhaust manifold to the EGR valve has been patched with rubber or silicone hose. The entire tube should be replaced. There used to be silicone hose repair kits for AIR tubes but they won't stand up to the heat of hot exhaust gas flowing through thr EGR tube.
On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 12:20:19 -0400, Tom Adkins

And they don't stand up on the AIR either if the one way valve is faulty.
snipped-for-privacy@sny.der.on.ca wrote in wrote:

finally someone got it right!!!!! clasic and common for the check valve on the air injection to go bad and let ex gas go backwards in the system. KB
--
ThunderSnake #9 Warn once, shoot twice
460 in the pkup, 460 on the stand for another pkup
Bill wrote:

that tube is a air injection system for the catalytic converter most likely... was a there an air pump on car ? you may have a problem with the control valve on the air pump.... some cars had a one way check valve on this pipe ...... if this has one and its stuck open exhaust will back up he pipe and burn the hose.