VW polo keeps stalling

Hi,

My wifes polo keeps stalling as you declutch and are about to stop, its ok otherwise. I wonder what could be causing this and how to remedy it.

any help much appreciated

thanks,

Reply to
block

block formulated on Monday :

Diesel/petrol?

What year, which model?

If recent and petrol, check the idle control valve.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Has the engine management light been on?

My wife's Polo (1.2 65bhp 3cyl, 52 plate) did exactly the same thing. It was also drinking petrol.

It turned out the coolant temperature sensor was duff.

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

yes its petrol and no lights illuminate and this happens regardless of how long the engines been running,

thanks

Reply to
block

Hi,

I own a 98 Polo 1.0. I had the same problem at around 80,000 miles. It began with erattic idling, and eventually it was cutting out everytime I stopped at junctions, or even just when changing gear. I took it to a main dealer, he recognised the problem immediately, said it was a sticking throttle valve, apparantly a very common problem with Polo's. He charged 60Euros to fix it, have had no problems since (now at 120,000 miles).

Hope this helps !

Reply to
KB76

For what it's worth, when this happened to my 98 Polo 1.4cl, I took the air cleaner off and CAREFULLY cleaned the interior of the throttle body and butterfly valve with petrol to remove the gummy deposits. It's worked perfectly ever since.The professionals will probably say you shouldn't do this but it worked for me

Reply to
harv

thanks again people. i will look into this

Reply to
block