How much is this car worth?

I want to buy a used car(either a 2002 Saab 9-5 Linear Sedan or a 2001 Volvo S80). My parents on the other hand are trying to get me to save my money and drive one of their older 2000 Lincoln Town Cars. I don't think the Town Car is a safe car because the fuel tank is located behind the rear axle. My mom wants me to save my money for a rainy day and not buy a car, and maybe(which seems unlikely at the time) my dad will buy me a cheaper car like a high milage 1999 Volvo S80 so I can save my money for a rainy day, or else I'll have to buy a car with my own money because I just don't feel safe any car that has a rear fuel tank(such as a Pinto, Mustang, Crown Victoria, Grand Marquis, or Town Car).

I know my dad probably won't allow me to sell the 2000 Town Car in order to buy a 99 S80, but just on the off chance that he does allow it, what is this 2000 Town Car Executive worth? My dad says that it's worth at least $10,500, but I say it's worth less than $6700.

DON'T FORGET TO LOOK AT THE PICS AT THE BOTTOM.

I'll give a detailed description and point out the problems and I've included SEVERAL PICS to show you what kind of wear and tear and damage the car has. Don't Forget to look at problem NUMBER 16, since it's the most important problem.

Here's a list of the problems.

  1. The rear bumper is cracked.

  1. The left rear tail light is chipped.

  2. One of the side view mirrors is painted a different color than the rest of the car.

  1. The button to open the gas door doesn't work, so you have to open the trunk and pull a cord with a handle inside the trunk to open the gas door.

  2. The remote sensors on the car don't work so you CAN'T open or lock the doors, or open the trunk or the gas door remotely.

  1. The Power Mirrors Don't work, you have to physcially push the mirrors with your hands to adjust them.

  2. The door to the driver's left armrest is loose and even if you try to put it back in place, it just falls off every time you close the door(the big one not the armrest door).

  1. The Front Center Armrest(storage console) is unhinged on the right side and part of it is missing and broken.

  2. The rear left ashtray door is missing.

  1. The 12 volt input jack would normally be inbetween the 2 cupholders, but on this Town Car, it just dangles near the floor and it's impossible to try and put it back in its place(it just doesn't seem to fit).

  2. The front right floormat is missing.

  1. The car generally has excessive wear and tear for a car that's less than 4 years old.

  1. The driver's control console(windows, locks, mirrors) is not properly in place.

  1. You always get the "sevice engine soon" warning when you turn on the car.

  2. The Magazine Pouch that's located on the back of the front passenger seat has become unstappled and part of it is dangling on the ground(unfortunately I forgot to take a pic of this).

  1. The BIGGEST problem is that the transmission is messed up. The car will NOT shift past 2nd gear while in "OVERDRIVE"(overdrive is the normal driving setting). Each time you star the car, you have to push a button on the shifter to switch to "Overdrive Off". What "overdrive off" does is that it only gives you 3 forward gears instead of 4, and "overdrive off" also gives you more engine breaking. So I always drive in "overdrive off". If I ever forget to press the button to engage "overdrive off" after starting the car, then the car tops out with a BLAZING FAST top speed of about 35mph in 2nd gear and I can hear the RPMs going real high so then I have to press the button to engage "overdrive off and then I can shift into 3rd gear. I wonder if my dad gave me this car because it only has 3 forward gears and thus has a very low top speed compared to all other cars on the road. I never drive that fast anyway, and thus I've never even found out what the top speed of this car is in 3rd gear(since it basically doesn't have a 4th gear because it's broken).

BTW, don't forget to see the pics to see what I mean.

Here are the pics.

The Diesel

Go to

or

They have tools that let you calculate the value of the car.

Before thinking that the car is not safe because of the gas tank, why not find if there are problems because of the placement of the gas tank. I think that you will find out that there are not more explosions and such in this car.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Got just one question for you?

How on earth do you trash a car that badly in just a few years? Ever hear of warranty repairs? I find it extremely difficult to believe a 2000 Lincoln can be in this sad state.

This sounds more like a troll post that a true inquiry to me............

Reply to
Jimz466

when you are old enough to move out the house and have the money then you can buy what you want.. when living at home(you dont have any of your own money, dad and mom support you and you have to go by their wishes)... so drive what they want until you grow up and can make your own mistakes.. then you can buy a front gas tank car like a corvair... if you can find one...

Reply to
dbird

How in the hell can you put 246,000 miles in four years unless it's a taxi or something?

Reply to
Stephan Mynarkiewicz

It sounds like a slider;

More like a $3500.00 trade in car, where you get $8000.00 on paper, and $3500.00 real money.

Drive it till the transmission croaks on the freeway, call daddy to spend $1800.00 to $2400.00 for a rebuild, and tell him: "You should have bought me the Saab and traded this slider!

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King

Hear! Hear!

I wouldn't give that kid ANY car.....

PC

Reply to
Proconsul

Reply to
Rob Guenther

ha... first I was thinking, take the free towncar! then, wow how do you trash a car like that in 4 years, what a POS. then I go oh, 200,000 miles in 4 years how the hell do you do that!

Reply to
Petebert

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

over 200000 in 4 years? The car is not worth spit.... hell its not worth the bullet to put it out of it's misery...

However good ole dad will think it's the best thing for you. Take the free car, let dad know everytime you have a problem with it, and drive it till it dies. Make sure you call mom or dad to come and get you when it fails.

Reply to
Panther

Don't worry about the location of the fuel tank. If there's an accident severe enough to rupture the tank you'll have far more important things to worry about than a fuel leak. You're far more likely to have a fire from fuel lines under the hood, or to get struck by lightning or run over by a semi truck. If you want safe, it's hard to beat an older Volvo, you can pick one up for a song and they're virtually indestructible.

Reply to
James Sweet

I wouldnt give this sniveling little shit a bike much less a car.

Scott

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Jimz466) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m03.aol.com:

Well, with 246,000 in four years, he was too busy driving it to have any warranty repairs done.

Rock

The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000Newsgroups

Rock

Agreed!

Reply to
Steven

My dad bought my one brother a $12,000 used car OF HIS CHOICE, and he took over the payments on my other Brother's $20,000 car OF HIS CHOICE so you can think or say whatever you want about how I'm the biggest spoiled brat in the world. I know I'm the lowest of the low for complaining about my parents treating me worse than my brothers by forcing a car on me that would be one of the LAST CARS ON EARTH I'd want to drive since it has a rear fuel tank, and a car that has over 246,000 miles on it and a car that has the list of problems I mentioned, and I even forgot to mention the other problem it has(the front left speaker makes a loud annoyone buzzing sound instead of reproducing music the way it's supposed to). I know the fact that I care more about a car's safety than about a car's looks or performance or that I care about safety even more than a car's reliability or fuel economy makes me an even bigger spoiled brat. People have said a lot worse stuff to me and will say a lot worse stuff to me in the future than you ever have so I say you're welcome to have your opinon, but I just happen to disagree with it.

Reply to
The Diesel

Diesel:

You should be more worried about the front tires falling off, rather than the rear gas tank blowing up.

BUT....

I think you should drive it, just make sure not to drive around will full tank of Gas. Keep it near Empty. That way the explosion won't be as dangerous. Good Luck!

Reply to
Robin AndrePont

A lot of Towncars, especially in New York and other big cities, are used as limos. For a while, I was surprised at the number of black town cars, until I noticed they all had black license plates.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

That's not such a good idea. With an empty tank you have gas and air, gas needs air to burn. On the other hand a full tank has no air - so no explosions. (Gas will only explode when it has just the right ratio of air to fuel, a full tank can't explode, and as a matter of fact even a

1/4 full tank can't - too much fuel. An almost empty tank can though.) (Please remember that I said explode, not burn.)

On the other hand if there was a fire then yeah less fuel would help - but I really doubt it would help all that much - it doesn't take much fire to hurt someone.

And finally you are really worrying about nothing - seriously. There are very specific standards for gas tanks and a 4 year old car would for sure meet them, or be recalled.

Please, ignore the movies, look in the real world - I'll bet you'll find no difference between front and rear tanks.

And fires in general for cars are so rare (compared to other lethal problems, like accidents) that you are really worrying about the wrong things.

-Ariel

Reply to
Ariel

wow.