Middle switch? 1993 Ford Taurus

The other night i was driving home in bad weather and went to turn on my hazard lights. They did not come on and my lights went dim.......I heard a buzzing noise in the steering column. I put my car in park and
it would not come out so I thought that maybe it was a fuse etc. Anyway, we checked all fuses...fine, replaced the brake light switch, still no brkae light, no highbeams, no hazards. I have turn signals, low beams, and tailights. Someone suggested the middle switch in the steering column. Any other thoughts? I don't want to pay for something that isnt going to work... Thanks in advance.
Candice
Qtip wrote:

Is your hazard switch in the top of the steering column? If so, carefully spray lots of WD40 into/around the button. The idea is to get the lube inside the switch. Then work in on and off about 25 times and try it. I have found the hazard switch will get dirty/lube inside dry up and cause problems like you discribe. I dont recall it ever killing the brake lights but hey I can't see the brake lights from the drivers seat so how would I know? ;) Anyway its worth a shot. (remember your problem started when you pushed that button) Also check for power at the brake switch, if there is none, check your fuses again :)
Qtip wrote:

Multifunction (MF) switch.
Everything that you mentioned is not working is controlled by the multifunction switch; replace the switch.

Thank You everyone...:)
Candice