New F150's

Does anyone else find the new F150's (2wd is what im familliar with) EXTREMELY friggin low?

Why would ford make this vehicle so damn low! The rangers have more clearance than the fullsize!!!

Reply to
Picasso

Perhaps because Ford is tired of being sued by people who expect a truck to handle like a passenger vehicle. My guess is that 90% of F150 owners never drive them on anything but paved roads.

Reply to
Neill Massello

"NHTSA"

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

Heaven forbid someone forcing trucks to be safer. What a horror.

jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Reply to
petebert

Welcome to the world of the 4 wheel penis extender..... if you have microscopic cajones..... if you have doubts about your sexuality.... if you wait until nobody is in the shower at the gym before you enter.... if it looks like you are a victim of steroid over-use.... if your loving bride giggles when you take off your shorts - you can always buy a lifted 4X4 with big tires (even though the roughest ground you will ever drive on is the speed bump in the downtown parkade).

We recently acquired an 06 H3 from the auction... it has some minor issues (to be expected with all of 7000 kms on the clock, yeah?). On the front and on the back are these MANLY tow hooks..... I'm talkin' D8 Cat earthmover kinda towhooks..... Lift this puppy up on a hoist and we see a pansy assed little all wheel drive wannabe... I'd be scared to take this thing over that speed "mountain" at the parkade....

But MAN!!!! Lookee them tow hooks.... Anyone with towhooks like that has GOT to have a "package" to be admired......

An' damn.... it is bigger than one o' them pansy assed Corvettes....

Reply to
Jim Warman

Jeffy.... this might come as a surprise..... it ain't the truck that's unsafe.... it ain't the car, it ain't the gun, the knife, the hammer nor the pair of scissors that your momma always told you not to run with. Take a mechanical device.... ANY mechanical device.... give it to the "right" person and it turns into a deadly weapon.

Face it, little buddy, the human race is flawed... some of us to the point of being too stupid to be allowed to breed. When we all finally realize that we are flawed and respond accordingly, we wont have to blame our stupidity on our tools....

Reply to
Jim Warman

"Jim Warman" wrote in news:7GAYg.23073$H7.1067@edtnps82:

okay, WTF is a 'parkade'??

JP

Reply to
Jon R. Patrick

"Jon R. Patrick"

Generically, a "multi-level outdoor parking facility".

aka: Car park, Parking structure, Parking garage, Parking deck... etc. Depends on where you live.

Reply to
MasterBlaster

Can we get an amen!!!

Reply to
GMach3

Low? Ground clearance is a minimum of 8 inches on the 2006 F150 2WD short bed and, guess what, it is a tremendous 8.3 inches on the 4x4 (all because of the tires). The cartoon cutout Dodge Ram 4x2 has a HUGE 7.4" minimum clearance (and the 4x4 actually has less at 7.3").

You are confusing styling with reality. I have never been able to understand why people want jacked up trucks. Unless you change the wheel size to move the rear axle up, jacking up the body and frame isn't going to improve ground clearance in way that will affect your ability to use the truck as intended. And raising truck's body makes it less useful and less safe. One of the primary reasons I did not want a new F150 4x4 is because the sides of the bed are too high. It makes loading things from the side of the truck difficult. Raising the body of a truck makes it less safe for you and others on the road. A higher body moves the center of gravity up, making the truck less stable in turns. Raising the front bumpers makes it more likely that you will override the side door beams or bumpers of a car in an accident, increasing the chances of injury for the people in a car. And many trucks are so high, they are difficult to get in and require side steps, which effectively move the body height back down to the same as the Ford 2WD, or even lower.

Truck buyers need to carefully consider why they want a ridiculously high truck. Why do you want to do that? Is it a "look at me, I am special sort of thing?" Or is it a way of intimidating other drivers? I'd love to hear a rational reason for wanting a very high truck.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

BUT - people do have accidents - even smart, careful, well meaning people. Accidentally running into the side of a Corolla with a jacked up truck is more likely to cause injury to the passengers of the Corolla that running into the same vehicle with a bumper that doesn't go over the side guard beams in the door. A lower tuck is less likely to roll over in an emergency maneuver (possibly caused by a real idiot, and not the driver of the truck). In must cases I am all for individual freedom, however, there are limits. When your choices endanger me and others, then I believe the Government needs to make reasonable rules.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Because some of us actually use truck to WORK, and it's a shorter lift for loading. Also the trailer might actually tow LEVEL

Reply to
Ralph E Lindberg

hrm, never had one of these sorts of jobs, good point. I suppose the lower bed helps the ole lower back.

Reply to
petebert

Do you believe a vehicle with 16" wheels has more ground clearance than one with 17" wheels and larger tires?

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Do you believe a vehicle with a center of gravity an inch or two higher than another is more likely to rollover? If you do how do you explain the fact that six wheelers are not rolling over more often than cars or SUVs?

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Statistic show one is less likely to be killer or injured in a light truck than in a small car.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Isn't envy one of the deadly sins? ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

The government does. They are called traffic laws. If everybody obeyed them there would be far fewer 'accidents.' ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Apparently a lot of truck buyers like the higher sides on the F150, they buy more of them than any other truck. ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter