New Tires for 2005 Escape = Poor Gas Mileage?

I recently replaced my Continentals (original tires) on my 05 Escape (non Hybrid) with Michelin tires from Costco. The fuel economy is very noticealby lower. Previously the avg was
17.5 mpg and now it is 16.1. The Escape gets crappy mileage as it is, but I didn't expect it to drop after spending a fortune on tires. Any know whats going on? Maybe it's a coincidence and something else is going wrong?
This SUV is a disapointment. Has 47 k miles and something is rattling under the front middle area. Damned if I know what it is. Can't get under ther to see whats going on.

Michelins as your Continentals. Second - the Michelins are inflated to the same pressure as the original tires. Lastly - your driving style and type of driving hasn't changed. If all of these are the same (not similar mind you but the same) then it is probably due to the fact that Michelins are noted for having very flexible sidewalls, giving the tires a softer, quieter ride. The softer tires may give more rolling resistance and account for your (miniscule) increase in fuel consumption.
DaveD

I exchanged the Conti's that were on my '02 for a set of Firestone Destination LE's at about 20K miles and also noticed a slight decrease (19.0 to 18.5), but since I could at least stop and start on sand or wet roads, I considered it a good trade-off. The Continentals were the worst tires I have ever driven on, and I've owned cars since '62. They had absolutely no traction whatsoever, even in the best of weather conditions.
I'm sorry the Escape has been a disappointment to you. I have almost 70K miles on mine, and the only thing I've changed were the leaky rear shocks at 50K, and the soft-metal front rotors at 25K miles. I still get 18.0-18.5MPG on 90% in-town driving and 23 on the highway. I find it comfortable and relatively smooth riding (for a mid-size SUV), and has more than enough power to avoid idiots that are trying to ram me (LOL!).
--
SC Tom

Which Michelin tire did you buy? I'm getting ready to replace my Mariner tires this fall.
(We love our Mariner by the way...)
Derek
M wrote:

size/pressure the same? P/LT ??
You bought a car that gets only 17.5MPG, and all of a sudden you are concerned about gas mileage?

cost per mile. Besides that, how does the fact that he bought a vehicle that gets only 17.5mpg figure into this situation? I suppose if he had purchased a vehicle that got 25mpg, a 2mpg decrease wouldn't be a concern? Totally illogical. DaveD
Dave D wrote:

I think what Z is saying is why would someone buy a 17MPGer and worry about fuel economy in general.
someone who was worried about fuel economy would buy a toyota corolla.

reason and although he was concerned about the fuel consumption it was not the primary factor in selecting the vehicle. Think maybe???? My truck gets around 14mpg and I am fine with that. If the fuel consumption increased to 10 or 12mpg I would be concerned! I really think what Z was saying was nothing more than a wise ass remark. All too common from many in this group... DaveD