ABS light comes on 2005 Escape

I have a 2005 Escape with 52,000 miles. The ABS light came on for a bit and is now off. The front brakes were replaced 6 months ago. I 'm a bit ticked because I went in for a brake job and they tell me that they only did the fronts (new rotors and pads for $375.00) and they claimed that the rears were ok. The rears are now very low. Would the ABS light come on for thin brakes pads in the rear or is there something else wrong. Next week I will have the rears done.

Reply to
finiteguy

New rotors after 52,000 miles? I think you got ripped off. Did they explain why they could not be turned? That amount sounds more correct for new pads, rotors AND calipers.

Reply to
Tim J.

Tim J. wrote in news:145257hlpiqpphmr16f5sg4ok5dq723di6@

4ax.com:

I just had the rotors and pads replaced on my 2009 at 50,000 Km. The technician said that the rotors were engineered to dispate heat better, in part through their metallurgy, but a consequence of this is a shorter service life. My vehicle spent its early years driving in the mountains of B.C. and this likely contributed to the brakes' rapid wear.

Reply to
Andrew Chaplin

Yes, I would say that I got ripped off. They should have done both front and rear for that price. Someone mentioned that the ABS light comes on when something more serious is wrong, not simply worn pads. I'm going to a different mechanic next time ;my brother is an auto mechanic and he will do it. It's inconvenient because of his location but worth it to get the job done right. In general, brake jobs seem to be the biggest money makers for mechanics. They over charge for parts and they never turn rotors anymore. Maybe they simply don''t know how. I'm not sure if my rotors were irreplaceable. They were original and 6 years old 50 k miles. Maybe too much rust.

Reply to
finiteguy

I had to put new rotors on my '02 Escape at ~20K miles. The OEM are so soft that they wear out in no time, it seems. My pads were still good- the only reason I changed them was I was tired of the black dust staining my rims. I could clean them one day, go to work and back the next, and they'd be near black again. The new Wagner rotors and pads took care of that- I now have

76K miles, and the rotors and pads still look and brake just fine.
Reply to
SC Tom

I had the original pads replaced and rotors turned at 116,000 miles on my '05 Escape Hybrid. The price was around $350 per axle.

I have read that the ABS light, and perhaps the noise that I now seem to have sporadically, often occurs after front brake work, and is caused by the toothed ABS sensor rings breaking loose. In my case, I think they might be rattling, because what I hear I initially thought was some heat shiled touching the disk, or vibrating against the caliper, or something of that sort.

Try a Google search for Ford Escape Tone Ring.

Reply to
dold

Seems to me that the '02 or '03 was the last year of the "super-soft" rotors. When I changed mine, I had no idea they were grooved as badly as they were until I had it jacked up and one wheel off. After miking the rotor, it was only a few thou away from the lower limit, so rather than have them turned, I opted to replace them. The pads were still good, just that they really gave off the black dust (but thinking back on it, it may have been rotor iron that was coming off :-) ). I still haven't replaced the rear shoes, but it's coming up on it, I think- I'm starting to get just a touch of fading.

Reply to
SC Tom