No heat when engine warm

I just changed the thermostat in my wifes Windstar (guage wouldn't go into the operating range) and now when the engine is warn I can't get any heat out of
the vents (when the switch is in the heat/defrost side). The air coming from the vents feels cold, as if the AC was running. I opened the hood and the AC hoses had condensation like the the AC was had been running. I know I put the thermostat in correctly, but how/why is the AC on? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Mac
Place the heater controls on max heat, then run the engine untill it is hot, you probley have air in the heater. Also check your coolant level, make sure to check it in the raaditor and just in the overflow bottle.

the
of
from
AC
the
greatly
I'd check to see if the AC clutch on the compressor is stuck on. 2 years ago this happened to an Aerostar I had. The clutch wasn't disengaging and as a result the AC was constantly on. Check the clutch.
Cameron
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Blmack) wrote in message

I'd be more suspicious of an air lock in the system. I always keep the radiator cap off until the thermostat opens because there is inevitably an air bubble that comes through. I found this on all my Fords since 1980!
Another easy fix on the heat problem and its fairly cheap... Check your thermostat... Its a simple and cheap fix. Been through it fairly often on Ford's.

air
Did you test the thermostat before putting it in? Usually I put 'em in a pot of water on the stove and boil it to see if it opens up at the right temp. (also I put thermometer in the water).
Nic

the
of
from
AC
the
greatly

the
of
from
AC
the
greatly
I suspect that it is the thermostat.
In my car and many others, when the defroster is on, the air conditioning comes on above 50 F, so that it dries the air, so that you can dry the windshield. However, this does not mean that the compressor clutch is not stuck on.
Jeff

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think it may have been a air bubble stuck somewhere in the system. After filling the radiator I ran it withe the cap off..but the fluid started or poor out of the neck, so I put the cap on. A few hours later I found the overflow tank was completely empty and the radiator needed more fluid. Again, Thanks for all the help. Mac