Re: 89 Escort LX sometimes sputtering and running on 3 cyl.

will
stuttering
Yeah, sounds like plugs and/or wires to me. If the car has a distributor (I'm not familiar with the 1.9 in particular, so bear with me), you might want to swap the cap out.
Other than that, check for codes if you can, make sure the fuel system's in good shape (it could also be a clogged injector or low fuel pressure).
-lee
I also think it's in the ignition system. Give the ol' girl a tune up. I assume it has CFI? Tough engine, really... Although bolted to that auto tranny it's not the greatest. With a manual tranny, that same engine will burry the speedo without even straining.
You can scan this car for trouble codes. Pay a visit to www.batauto.com , they have an extensive section on trouble codes and how to retrieve them. It's a little more complicated than a GM from the same era, but it's not hard and it's a way better scan then the GM vehicles of the time had (for the home DIY'er). You can do a scan for memory codes, and a separate engine running scan for things that are wrong at the time of running the scan.

will
stuttering
Thanks for the feedback guys, I have a little weekend project to do. John

will
stuttering