89 Cabriolet Sputtering - Other Fuel Pump?

Folks,

I have an '89 Cabriolet 1.8 CIS automatic I've been fixing up. After I drive on the highway for 15 minutes or so, the engine starts sputtering. Mind you up to this point it runs strong going 70mph up hills no problem. If I pull the car off the highway, shut it down for a minute or so, I can get back in traffic only to have the sputtering (slows down to 40mph) happen again.

There is considerable buzzing coming from one of the fuel pumps. I replaced the transfer pump in the tank since it is cheap and easy. BTW, I highly recommend germanautoparts.com They are very competitively priced and I always get the parts the next day (from NY to MA) While the buzzing has subsided a little bit since replacing the transfer pump it is still considerable. Sounds like the external fuel pump (next to the right rear wheel??) may be shot or on the way out. Should I replace this next??

What do you think??

Dave

Reply to
David Sykes

Fuel filter? I have seen some main fuel pump inlets clogged with debris too! You might want to take off the fuel hose TO the fuel pump and make sure that fuel flows easily to the main pump. BE VERY CAREFUL!!!

Buzzing is a sign of a problem AFAIK. good luck, dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
dave

The buzzing sound can mean two things, no or too little fuel available for the high pressure pump or it's worn. Replace fuel filter first (cheap) and try again...

SFC

"David Sykes" schreef in bericht news:DcJle.13$ snipped-for-privacy@llslave.llan.ll.mit.edu...

Reply to
SFC