Re: 96 windstar

My 98 Windstar, just sold at 216K. Also the 3.8 mfg in Canada. Engine started to hesitate and I wanted a new vehicle. So I sold it a few weeks back. I didn't want to put any money into the van. Anyway, I had THAT problem twice, once about 123K and once near 196K.

Both time, I went to Pepboys and had the transmission flushed, and new filter, and the problem went away.

NOT TO SAY THAT THIS WILL SOLVE your problem, just advising what I did.

It was a great vehicle, only replaced the alternator about 103K, beside normal maintained.

Good luck!

a Canadian made 3.8. Coming home from the grocery store at 60 Km Hr/40 MPH > it started shifting from high into second, then back up again, over and > over. Today it did the same at first, then on the way home, this time at > 40 Km Hr (different route) it was dropping in and out of overdrive, > without any light, as the load varied. A few weeks ago, while going very
Reply to
Steve

Thanks for the info. This one did it once before, the throttle position sensor, and the speed sensor were replaced, which cured it for a couple of years. I wasn't driven a whole lot for the first year and a half after that. Probably not the same cause. For now, the problem has gone away again.

Steve.

Reply to
Steve R.