REAR brake lights stay on 2002 Windstar HELP?

Odd problem. It appears that occaisionally the rear brake lights stay on after turning off the engine and removing the keys. My first thought is the switch that must be near the actual brake pedal in the
Windstar.
Anybody else seen this and is my first thought a correct assumption?
Thanks in advance.

off. Tony