Rental car - determining a FULL tank

How do they check to see if you have filled the tank on a rental car ?
I had work done on my car and was given a loaner.
I drove it home and back and probably used a TO 1 GALLON AT MOST !!!
You could not possibly "weigh" the car with a "full" tank when I return it and get an accurate reading in my opinion.
A half gallon of gas weighs about 3 to 4 lbs.
When "filling" a tank, some people top off and I am sure some pumps will pump a tad more or less when filling. Yes, I know the gov't supposedly inspects them for accuracy.
So there are MANY variables.
+++++++++++++++++++++++
The questions are :
1) HOW do they test for a "full" tank ?
2) How much leeway, do they give on a "full" tank ? If I fill up at a CHEAP station and then drive 15 miles, how do they know ?? There must be some leeway on the determination of a "full" tank.
TIA
Some rental companies loan out their cars on empty, which leaves you with the option of returning the car with as much gas as you wish.

Most rental agreements have a box on the contract that shows the fuel level ( 1/4 1/2 3/4 or full ). One of those are circled indicating the approximate amount when you took possession of the car. Or the agreement will say in writing how much was in it, read your contract it will tell you how much was in it when you took possession. You then are to return the car with approximately the same amount. So if you took the car with approximately 1/2 tank, you return it with approximately 1/2 tank. A little above or below is ok, just do not return with it at 1/4. A 1/2 to 1 gal amount of fuel will not make a difference, the fuel gauge is what they go by. 1/2 to 1 gal will not make the needle move. So if you drove home and the fuel gauge moved, you used more than a gallon of fuel.

There's full and then there's full. :-) I once picked up a rental car (I think it was a Taurus). whose gauge read full, but then I drove it a total of 40 miles and the gauge went from full to 3/4. On every car I've owned, the gauge wouldn't move off the full mark in 40 miles. I filled up the car, told the clerk my story when I returned the car, and got credit for what I'd spent on gas.

==Steve Shoreline, Washington USA snipped-for-privacy@seanet.com 18 Nov 2003, 2037 PST
why not just fork over the $1.50 for the gallon you used?

Petebert wrote:

Dollar fifty gas costs two-fifty at rental companies.

$5.00+ a gallon at the Hertz counter in Atlanta-Hartsfield this past weekend.
Conase wrote:

you simply stop off at the local cheap gas place and fill up the tank before bring the car back.... they they dont have to pump 25 gallons of gas into the vehicle and charge you for that.....