Rental car - determining a FULL tank

How do they check to see if you have filled the tank on a rental car ?

I had work done on my car and was given a loaner.

I drove it home and back and probably used a ½ TO 1 GALLON AT MOST !!!

You could not possibly "weigh" the car with a "full" tank when I return it and get an accurate reading in my opinion.

A half gallon of gas weighs about 3 to 4 lbs.

When "filling" a tank, some people top off and I am sure some pumps will pump a tad more or less when filling. Yes, I know the gov't supposedly inspects them for accuracy.

So there are MANY variables.

+++++++++++++++++++++++

The questions are :

1) HOW do they test for a "full" tank ?

2) How much leeway, do they give on a "full" tank ? If I fill up at a CHEAP station and then drive 15 miles, how do they know ?? There must be some leeway on the determination of a "full" tank.

TIA

Reply to
Conase

Some rental companies loan out their cars on empty, which leaves you with the option of returning the car with as much gas as you wish.

Reply to
Dan

Most rental agreements have a box on the contract that shows the fuel level (

Reply to
Thomas Moats

why not just fork over the $1.50 for the gallon you used?

Reply to
Petebert

=== Steve Shoreline, Washington USA snipped-for-privacy@seanet.com

18 Nov 2003, 2037 PST
Reply to
Stephen Dailey

Dollar fifty gas costs two-fifty at rental companies.

Reply to
getupand

when renting a car or truck and they are gonna charge you for the gas you simply stop off at the local cheap gas place and fill up the tank before bring the car back.... they they dont have to pump 25 gallons of gas into the vehicle and charge you for that.....

Reply to
jim

$5.00+ a gallon at the Hertz counter in Atlanta-Hartsfield this past weekend.

Reply to
DriveSpy