2000 camry stalls on full tank of fuel

I purchased this auto, without warranty, at 50k miles and at 52K after filling the tank with reg gas, it sputtered and almost stalled. It has gotten progressivly worse over the last 10k miles. The only time it does it, is after a full tank of gas. At about 3 quarters of a tank it stops stalling. The check engine light also came on the first time it happened. The service dept at the toyo dealer advised it was excess fuel in the overflow canister and to give it time to dry out. They advised the check engine light would go away as well. The stalling seems to be getting more intense and it now seems to be a safety issue. Are there other options to speed this process. We drive about 5000 miles per month and try not to fill the tank all the way up, and never past the first click. We are tightning the gas cover until it clicks as well. Advise would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
qar

Sounds like the diagnosis you got was correct. If the prior owner kept filling the tank to the very brim to the point of allowing fuel to saturate the evaporative canister (that is supposed to hold only fuel vapor) that would account for your problem. Letting it dry out slowly is news to me. I thought they needed to be replaced - although this is an expensive part. Replacement is fairly straightforward though. Unbolt the old cannister and replace the vacuum lines. IIRC there is something over the cannister where removing it makes access easier. (could be the air hoses or filter box - sorry don't remember)

Reply to
Daniel

fuel to saturate the evaporative canister Daniel, are you talking about fuel entering one or both of the two smaller holes in the filler neck besides the main hole ? I'm sure some or maybe a lot goes down one of those when I put in a can of fuel injector cleaner. Any harm in that? I've only done it once.

Reply to
hbuck

Thank you very much for your reply. I do have one follow up question. Why wasn't the check engine light on when we purchased the vehicle? Could the dealer have done something to make the light go away?

Reply to
qar

The fuel tank overflow check valve is another place to look because you said the cause more likely after filling the tank. This is way it's advised that we don't fill the tank past the first click from the pump.

That generation of Camrys also have bad canisters. But you did say it's working when the tank is not full.

Reply to
johngdole