Town Car towing ?

Has anyone in the group used a 98-2002 Town Car for trailer towing? Would like to tow a 2000# travel trailer and not sure if it would handle/deal with this sort of thing. Thanks ! Zork

Reply to
Zork

As to your question, this respondent must answer "No".

However, from my experience at towing a 4700 lb. trailer behind a passenger car, I offer that I would never consider a towing vehicle that did not have a factory installed towing package, which may, and likely will, include the following: Pre-wiring to rear bumper Relay operated trailer lighting Charging isolator Heavy duty alternator Heavy duty radiator Heavy duty suspension Different rear-end ratio Auxilliary transmission cooler Air shocks

Zork wrote:

Reply to
getupand

Reply to
Zork

My folks used an 85 CV w/ 302. all stock, to tow a 2200lb pop-up trailer. The rear end almost scraped the ground until they added heavy-duty shocks in the back.. just the shocks.. they didnt add anything else..

Chuck Burns

Reply to
Zex0s

I think on anything 2000 lbs and up I would be using spring torsion bars on the hitch. They distribute the tongue load to all four wheels of the tow vehicle, which brings the rear end up. If it's a high profile trailer, I'd also be using an anti-sway friction brake.

Which reminds me. While stopped at a gas station somewhere in Wyoming, I see some guy blow by about 70 MPH on the highway pulling about a 26' foot travel trailer with inverted wheel set (real high off ground). He had no trailer brakes, no trailer lights, no torsion bars, no anti-sway, no safety chains. He was pulling it with a Jeep! I've often wondered if he ever made it to the Darwinian awards.

Reply to
getupand

That vintage Town Car has the automatic air ride / air lift suspension already.

The platform is easily capable of a 5000 lb. trailer. It was last rated for that back in 1994 or 1995 in Crown Vic trim, even without the air suspension. It is now rated at 2000 lbs., not too bad for a non-truck these days.

Rob

* * *
Reply to
Trainfan1

You can see some amazingly stupid towing stunts, some of them actually survive, but not all. This past month a couple died near Great Falls Montana after a wreck. They were towing a trailer, towing a boat, and tried to pass someone....

Reply to
Ralph E Lindberg

It is my understanding that in some of the less populous states that a double combination is legal. I have seen such in, I believe, Wyoming and Montana. Looks scary to me.

Reply to
getupand

Legal, yes, smart, no

Reply to