Trunk on 2001 Ford Taurus

On my Taurus on the inside there is a lever with 3 notches where i assumed you could adjust something on the trunk. Out of curiosity I pulled them out of the notch they were in and put them in different notches. Now the trunk is totally screwed up and will not stay up on its own, even if I put the lever back into the original notch. What have I done and what can I do to fix it?

Dean

Reply to
Dean Caudle

I can't recall the trunk lid spring arrangement on the Taurus but with your description I think it safe to say it is torsion bars... that would be the two levers you are referring to. When you moved them, I think that the "far" end of the torsion bar to disengage from it's mount.... leaving you with no springs for the lid. I suggest following each bar to it's opposite end. It is usually pretty evident as to how they are captured in place. If that doesn't work, a quick trip to an autobody shop should help.

Not wanting to preach (and you can just see the "but" coming) but taking a stare at the whys and wherefores before we commit to an act can save us money and grief.... Welcome to the world of the tinkerer...

Reply to
Jim Warman

Those are the torsion springs that hold the decklid up. One of them may be broken or it became disconnected on the opposite end from the adjustment when you moved it.

Reply to
Tom Adkins

lmfao just put them in matching holes use a prybar

hurc ast

Reply to
fordly863

Put what in what matching holes? How does a neophyte interpret this? How does nayoe interpret this?

"Put 'them' in matching holes".... hurc... you are a virtual vault of advice.

Reply to
Jim Warman

I can get them back in their notch, but even when i do there is no longer the tension it used to have to keep the trunk up.

Dean

Reply to
Computer Guru