unsafe 2006 ford freestar

Page 1 of 2
I purchased my 2006 Ford Freestar back in May 2006, I had the vehicle for 3 days and The vehicles advance traction light came on and the vehicles brakes activated on there own so I took the van back and the
dealership said there was nothing wrong so I took the van back and a couple days later it happened again so I took it back again to the dealership this time they kept the vehicle and did some tests and found nothing again so I took the van back for a third time well it happened again this time I was driving to work on a very busy road in London Ont. and I almost got rear ended 5 times because it would work then not work so i took it back again and this time they found some codes it all has to do with some censor in the steering column getting to much light so they painted it black and said it was fine so I went with my kids and my sister to pick up the van again after 2 or 3 weeks and on my way home on the highway it happened again and this time a large truck was behind us and had to Swerve around us so he didn't slam into the back of us and now my whole family is afraid to drive in the van. so I took the van back again and told them i am not interested in keeping this vehicle it is unsafe so the dealership took the van and said they would see what they could do so they got in contact with a person from ford named john Cranston and we meet with him and he told us there is a problem and ford is looking into making a new part to fix the problem so we had 2 choices trade for a new van of the same make and model year and take our chances that this would happen again or they will give us a loaner vehicle till they build the new part and give us 4 months worth of payments back considering we have been paying for the van and we have not been driving it and also a 1 year maintenance package and if it happened again after the fix he would cancel our contract and we would not have to buy the van so we accepted the last one and asked for it in righting and he said ok a week later we still never received anything in righting and he will not give us anything in righting. so a couple months pass by and the loaner van they put us in did the exact same thing so we told the rental place and they gave us a new van and the next day we get a call saying that our van is fixed this is now October thanksgiving weekend 5 months later. so we take the van back and 2 weeks later it happens again so we have had enough we contacted John Cranston of ford and told him we don't want this van anymore he told us to give him a couple of days and let him take the van to his engineers in Oakville and let them look at it so we said ok but we are not taking the van back well 2 weeks pass he gets someone by the name of Anna to call us and tell us the van is fine and its 110% safe and if we didn't take the van back and give him the rental vehicle he would call the police and report the rental stolen and he was done dealing with us there is nothing wrong with the van so we took the van back and on my way to work after they dropped the van off i had no brakes. so i took it back to a dealership and they looked at it and the service manager at the dealership gave us his personal van which is the same as ours but a 2007 he warned us that it has the same problem as ours does with the advance traction control system. so a couple days later we get the van back and it seemed to be working fine well a week later i was leaving the store pulling on to the road and the advance traction control light starts flashing and my van loses all power and I almost get T-boned by a bus. but ford is still saying there is nothing wrong with this vehicle. We have been in contact with a lawyer but not sure how far we can go considering it could cost us thousands of dollars and could go on for years in court. all we want is for Ford to take back the vehicle as we don't feel we should have to purchase a vehicle that is unsafe. If you have any other questions or comments or suggestions on what we can do post message back or email me please and thank you
Check and see if there are any technical service bulletins (TSBs) on this issues.
While your lawyer should be able to tell about the lemon laws, for other readers: There are lemon laws in most or all states that allow you to return a vehicle that you have returned for repairs and the repairs were not done properly. The laws vary by state and usually require that a problem has been addressed by the dealer at least a certain number of times.
Jeff
Jeff wrote:

i live in canada so we don't have the lemon law option
On 28 Nov 2006 17:08:48 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com wrote:

There are other ways to get a resolution, but you should give the dealer and the regional Manufacturer's reps several chances to make it right. But if they don't, you have to ratchet up the pressure in measured steps, offering them an opportunity at each step...
First you make sure you have all your documentation in order, and that you are 100% in the right, you didn't skip any steps or ever make any misrepresentations that could come back and bite you - run every step of this process past your lawyer to make sure.
Second, you have all future contacts from the Dealer or Mfgr. through your lawyer or in writing, period. You are taking the gloves off so you have to be painfully above the board, they can easily turn it around and make extortion or blackmail charges if you say the wrong thing.
Then you take your "free" personal webspace at Rogers (or get paid web hosting at an outside provider) and put up a decent looking page explaining all the problems you've had with the car, all the efforts where they tried to fix it, with a timeline. Put copies of the relevant repair orders and paperwork up there, but be careful to black out (redact) your address and phone number and other personal info that the lawyer says is better to leave out.
Make up several printed packets with copies of all this information - both redacted for the press, and unedited for legal purposes.
Then you get some publicity - go to the local newspaper, radio or TV "Consumer Reporter" and have them shake the bushes at the dealer and Mfgr. on your behalf. Preferably with a camera crew.
If all else fails, you paint the car yellow (optional) and paint "They Sold Me A Lemon and Will Not Fix It. See <webpage URL> for all the details" on the sides of the car, and park it in front of the dealership. (You can use poster paint so it washes off.)
Make sure to obey all parking regulations, document every time you come over and drive it 1 or 2 miles every 48 or 72 hours (or whatever the regulations are) so they can't ticket or tow it as an "abandoned" car.
(The dealer may try to call in a favor at City Hall or the Police Station and "Get that <expletive> eyesore out from in front of my store!" and they'll lie that it hasn't moved in a week to make a plausible reason. You want to CYA for that ahead of time. Leave a copy of the log sheet face up on the dashboard to make the tow company think twice - they'll be named in the illegal towing complaint...)
If that last move doesn't get your lawyer's phone ringing with an offer to 'make it right', they've got *real* problems.
--<< Bruce >>--

Absolutely. Sometimes dealers or manufacturer's reps don't get the idea the first time. And, often, they really want to do the right thing.

If the dealer or manufacturer's rep doesn't do the right thing.
This idea is a thing of beauty.

The trick is, you have to get your problem escalated up into Dealership Owner or Corp. Vice President territory so the person actually has the authority to solve it.
If they can't write a note to the lower levels saying "Replace every single piece in the braking system if you have to, just get it right - tell Accounting I said so." you haven't gone high enough yet and you are wasting your time talking to them. The only reason to do so is to get them to acknowledge they aren't authorized to help you, and bump you higher up the chain of command.
And if the lower levels won't let you get anywhere near that real decision making person out of fear for their personal fiefdom, then you have to take the public pressure route.
<Huge Snip>

Yeah, I know. Through the years, other people have used variations on it. Usually the 'public pillory' method works, and if it doesn't it's incredibly cathartic. (You've still been wronged, but you feel a lot better getting it out in the open.)
God, I hope I never have to do anything that drastic myself...
--<< Bruce >>--
Thanks alot for your suggestions. one thing is the dealership is actually working with us to try and get ford to take the vehicle back. They have given us phone numbers of people that we are not supposed to haved. They have given us email adresses of some of those same people. They also told the head rep for our area that if ford would let us out of the contract they would take the van back into there inventory once ford fixed it properly but he said no so we are stuck trying to do other things and nothing seems to be working. lawyer sent a letter, but we never even got a response from them. the reason i'm posting here in these groups is for suggestions and maybe other people that are having the same problem will contact me and maybe we can get together and start a class action suit against ford that might be high expectations but its worth a try.
Bruce L. Bergman wrote:

On 30 Nov 2006 19:23:41 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com wrote:

Wait, "out of the contract" - Is this car a lease or a purchase? A lease might be complicating things a LOT - they are harder to unwind.
Unless you think the cause is hopeless, never take the option of "figure out what the heck is wrong with the (brakes) and fix them once and for permanently" off the table.
--<< Bruce >>--
its a purchase. i think the cause is totally hopeless they have had the vehicle to many time now and still can't get it right. there are still other people out there that are having the same problem, but thier vans are still on the lots and they are driving rentals. which isn't an option for us any more, ford says there is nothing wrong with ours,but the same thing keeps happening
Bruce L. Bergman wrote:

its a purchase. I totally think this is hopeless they have tried a number of times to fix this and have failed. there a number of people with the same problem in various locations.
Bruce L. Bergman wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com says...

There must be something wrong with lyour ISP, you are getting double posts.
--
I. Care
snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com wrote:
The Ford dealership is trying to help us get Ford to take the vehicle back. The Ford dealership gave us phone numbers of people to call. The Ford dealership gave us email addresses of people to contact. The Ford dealership said they would take the van back if Ford fixed it first. The Ford area rep won't have the van fixed or let us out of our contract. Our lawyer sent a letter (to ?), but we never got a response. If other people with the same problem will contact me maybe we can start a class action suit against ford. I'm posting in newsgroups groups for suggestions. ___________________________________________________________
=== The Ford dealer is giving you the runaround. === The Ford factory rep is giving you the runaround. === Your own lawyer is giving you the runaround.
Either all of these people are collectively conspiring to cheat you out of car you deserve, or they are individually telling you that you have no case - that you are a potentially vexatious litigant, not worthy of serious business consideration. Asking for class action suit support in a newsgroup would tend to support the second scenario.
If you think you have been wronged, plunk your money down in front of your lawyer and tell him to SUE. If he hesitates to go forward, take another look at the strength of your case.
Good luck.
Rodan.
we know we have been done wrong by considering the circumstances. when you buy a $35000 vehicle you expect it to run right,not have the brakes apply themselves as you are driving down the street or the vehicle lose power when pulling out into an intersection. the only problem with plunking my money down is that most lawyers want a $10,000 to a $20,000 retainer before they proceed. It costed us $350 just to have our lawyer send out letters so the only reason i'm posting here is to get any suggestions from people possible and to get in contact with other people who are have the same problem. We have not only posted on news groups, but on all kinds of different forums and blog sites about ford and i was shocked to see how many people there are in North America that are having the same problem, and ford is doing nothing about it not even issuing a recall. Terry Rodan wrote:

What contract?
Jeff

we are finacing the vehicle so there is a contract Jeff wrote:

My first comment is:
Do you know what the enter key is for? Tap it twice, just every once in a while!
The second comment is...I would think either Ontario or Canada would have a Lemon Law process.
snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com wrote:

you pay..DEAL with it!
Just to let you know, Ontario is a Province (what you probably call a state) and Canada is the Country that Ontario is within.
And to answer your question, No, canada does not have the "lemon" law as you do in the US. The freestar owner might want to start here: http://www.camvap.ca / The Canadian Motor Vehicle Arbitration Plan is a program where disputes between consumers and vehicle manufacturers about alleged manufacturing defects or implementation of the manufacturers' new vehicle warranty can be put before a neutral third party (arbitrator) for resolution. (right from their website at the site mentioned)
Backyard Mechanic wrote:

First a mea culpa for my not reading the other comments first... I had left my newsreader up on screen and evidently didnt refresh it.

Suppose I had said:
"I would think either Ohio or the US would have a Lemon Law process."
Would you infer from that I didnt understand the US?
I know that most yanks are unbelievably ignorant of Canada, but I'm not one of them. I'm still too ignorant but at one time I could name all the provinces, territories and their capitals; still can name most. And point them out on the map.
you pay..DEAL with it!
snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com wrote:

You sir have just wrote the longest, on average, sentences I Have ever seen, many of them are not even sentences... very hard to read. If you spoke to the ford dealer like this, they probably didn't understand you!
Seven "sentences" (lines of words with a period at the end we might as well say) for all that.
wrote: <...>

Sometimes when people are upset and venting, their grammar and punctuation goes downhill.
I'd rather it happens here than similar things at the dealer.
Jeff