Why rough ride in an '03 Crown Vic taxi with 50K miles?

I drive a 2003 Crown Vic as a taxicab in San Francisco. It has 50,000 miles on it. I think that it came with some of Ford's taxi enhancements, but I'm not sure. For
some clues about the car's features, see:
https://www.fleet.ford.com/products/fleet_showroom/2004fleetshowroom/2004-cviccomm.asp
Here's the problem: the car's ride has become gradually rougher in the six months that I've had the vehicle. Specifically, it doesn't take bumps very well. I've noticed the same degradation in the ride of other 2003 Crown Vics with similar mileage. The mechanics at the cab company can't explain this problem.
I've looked in vain on the Internet for a site that discusses this sort of problem. So I'm turning to the readers of alt.autos.ford. Does any of you have a good guess as to what the problem is (the shock absorbers? the suspension?) and what I should about it? Does Ford put low- quality shocks into their new vehicles? Should I consider buying better-quality shocks for the cab?
Thanks in advance.
********** 1366294709
Mark wrote:

https://www.fleet.ford.com/products/fleet_showroom/2004fleetshowroom/2004-cviccomm.asp
I';m amazed that the original struts lasted that long. They are cheap throwaway struts - good for a couple of years worth of typical driving and no more.(figure 20-25K).
Get a new pair and replace the sway bar with a heavy duty one - you'll notice a big difference.
CV's don't have struts, they have separate shock absorbers all around. I replaced the shocks on my '92 Grand Marquis with sport suspension at around 125k miles and the new ones felt no different then the ones removed. Sway bars only affect roll resistance and have little or no affect on resisting bumps. You probably need stiffer shocks for your application and use. The rear shocks are a bitch to replace at the top mounts so have it done rather than by yourself. Stan K.
Joseph Oberlander wrote:

Stan Kasperski wrote:

The OEM shocks are not going to last 50K in any case. As for the ride quality, cheap shocks are going to be just as bad. If you buy something made in China or Indonseia, don't expect it to do a decent job.
The OEM's that were removed at 125K miles were made in Japan. They were not bad at that time. Stan K.
Joseph Oberlander wrote:

Stan Kasperski wrote:

I doubt if the newer generation models are made in Japan given Ford's love for squeezing their suppliers as much as possible. Replacing cheap ones with quality ones will make a huge difference.
We service CV's by the thousands, as part of our preventive maintenance program we change shock on the CV every two years or 50K, WOF. Only on rare occasions do we see shock go sooner. I would suggest you examine the shocks and change them if defective, at the mileage your referenced they are covered by the warranty.
mike bunt
Joseph Oberlander wrote:

Try these:
https://www.rockauto.com/dbphp/dbpage/prt/904/550055
https://www.rockauto.com/dbphp/dbpage/prt/904/550018
Monroe Gas Magnum Truck shocks for the Crown Vic Police / Taxi as a "severe service" replacement (rear).
Rob * * *
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Mark) wrote in message

https://www.fleet.ford.com/products/fleet_showroom/2004fleetshowroom/2004-cviccomm.asp
These are the best cars in the world. For the money you can't beat it. Last of the true American V8 RWD body on frame. The most durable workhorse sedans available on the market.
Keep in mind that Ford updated the rear suspension on the Crown Victorias to a Watts linkage set up.
What you are experiencing is probably normal - just feels different.
Explain how it's rough. We only know what you tell us. Is it too firm? Too soft? Does the suspension bottom out a lot? Does it make a consistant noise when you hit a bump? Tell us.