Why rough ride in an '03 Crown Vic taxi with 50K miles?

I drive a 2003 Crown Vic as a taxicab in San Francisco. It has 50,000 miles on it. I think that it came with some of Ford's taxi enhancements, but I'm not sure. For some clues about the car's features, see:

Here's the problem: the car's ride has become gradually rougher in the six months that I've had the vehicle. Specifically, it doesn't take bumps very well. I've noticed the same degradation in the ride of other 2003 Crown Vics with similar mileage. The mechanics at the cab company can't explain this problem.

I've looked in vain on the Internet for a site that discusses this sort of problem. So I'm turning to the readers of alt.autos.ford. Does any of you have a good guess as to what the problem is (the shock absorbers? the suspension?) and what I should about it? Does Ford put low- quality shocks into their new vehicles? Should I consider buying better-quality shocks for the cab?

Thanks in advance.

********** 1366294709
Reply to
Mark

I';m amazed that the original struts lasted that long. They are cheap throwaway struts - good for a couple of years worth of typical driving and no more.(figure 20-25K).

Get a new pair and replace the sway bar with a heavy duty one - you'll notice a big difference.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

Try these:

Monroe Gas Magnum Truck shocks for the Crown Vic Police / Taxi as a "severe service" replacement (rear).

Rob

* * *
Reply to
Trainfan1

These are the best cars in the world. For the money you can't beat it. Last of the true American V8 RWD body on frame. The most durable workhorse sedans available on the market.

Keep in mind that Ford updated the rear suspension on the Crown Victorias to a Watts linkage set up.

What you are experiencing is probably normal - just feels different.

Explain how it's rough. We only know what you tell us. Is it too firm? Too soft? Does the suspension bottom out a lot? Does it make a consistant noise when you hit a bump? Tell us.

Reply to
Eastward Bound

Stan Kasperski

replaced the shocks

ones felt no

have little or no

application and use.

The OEM shocks are not going to last 50K in any case. As for the ride quality, cheap shocks are going to be just as bad. If you buy something made in China or Indonseia, don't expect it to do a decent job.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

replaced the shocks

new ones felt no

have little or no

application and use.

rather than by

Reply to
Stan Kasperski

bad at that time.

I doubt if the newer generation models are made in Japan given Ford's love for squeezing their suppliers as much as possible. Replacing cheap ones with quality ones will make a huge difference.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

We service CV's by the thousands, as part of our preventive maintenance program we change shock on the CV every two years or 50K, WOF. Only on rare occasions do we see shock go sooner. I would suggest you examine the shocks and change them if defective, at the mileage your referenced they are covered by the warranty.

mike bunt

Joseph Oberlander wrote:

bad at that time.

Reply to
MajorDomo

replying to Eastward Bound, ruffridingmarquis wrote: I know what he is talking about. i just boight an 04 grand marques with the same problem . suspension is STIFF very little movement on small to medium bumps. I think the springs are to stiff or the bushings are to tight? wish I had an answer.

Reply to
ruffridingmarquis

Heavy duty shocks? Low profile tires?

Reply to
clare

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

if it has the police package it will ride rough. KB

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff

Never seen a Grand Marquis with a police package - possibly a Taxi package, but up here virtually all Crown Vics. The Grand Marquis is always "tarted up"

Reply to
clare

replying to clare, ruffridingmarquis wrote: all stock 60000 mi.

Reply to
ruffridingmarquis

I'd look at the shocks

Reply to
clare

Bad shocks? What tires and wheels? Normallythey ride like boats.

Reply to
Clare Snyder