Rear Speaker Removal - Crown Vic

I was wondering if anyone has experience removing the rear deck speakers on a 2003 Crown Victoria? The speaker grill seems to be attached to the carpet covering the back deck. It seems I need to find proper method to fold down rear deck covering to access speakers. Any ideas?

TIA, Kent

Reply to
Kent_Diego

either remove the deck or maybe the speakers come out the trunk side?

Reply to
Shoe Salesman

I just had a couple pairs of speakers installed today on my 2004 Merc Grand Marquis and they removed the back ones from the top. He took out the back of the seat and removed the fabric on the rear window ledge. He said some of the older ones come out from below but I don't know if one year is "older."

Reply to
BillM

I looked from below in the trunk and the top is the way. I was afraid that removing the back of the seat was the way. I will keep my eyes open for a good pair of 6x9 speakers and work up the courage. I wonder what size the front door speakers are?

Thanks, Kent

Reply to
Kent_Diego

The place where you buy the speakers should have a catalog that shows the size of the speakers. You probably should double check the rears too, they could be 4x10 for example.

To remove the seat first push down and back on the front of the bottom seat. Its not always easy and you have to get tough with it, that will unhook it (one hook on the left, and one on the right) and it will pull right out. then you will see bolts that hold the back of the seat on. From there find everything that holds down the rear deck panel and remove it. Its not really that tough of a job, just dig in and go for it.

Reply to
Shoe Salesman

My 2004 Gr Marq has 6x8 both front and back even though everyone's book said 6x9 in the back. I put two pairs of Polk 6x8 (5x7) from Circuit City, with an add on amp, and they sound unbelievable. Of course I don't listen to rap sort of stuff.

Reply to
BillM

The Crutchfield site listed 6x8 for front and back although the front door opening is much smaller. I almost bought 4 Infinity 2 way speakers. Then I went to Fry's listening room and the Infinity speakers did not sound that great. I have the "Premium Sound System" and am woried that aftermarket speaker will not make much difference. The disassembly of car is scarry too. I think I am going to hold off for a while....

-Kent

Reply to
Kent_Diego

I think it is the same process as on my '95 that I am currently putting new speakers in.

Remove the rear seat, then the seat back. Remove side trim parts. Remove center brake lite. Look for screws, then remove rear package tray. The speakers are installed from the top, 4 screws and the old ones are out. My new 6X9's dropped right in. I even used the same screws! Get a manual for the car if you can, some of the parts have hidden clips or screws and I may have missed a step or so...

Good Luck.

PoD

Reply to
Paul of Dayton