crown vic

I have a ?99 ford crown victoria and I am having a strange problem Everytime it is real humid out or I get water under the hood for any reason the car wont stay on. I will turn tghe key and it will start but the secon you let the key go it will cut off unless you hold down the gas. I know it is related to moisture because the car works fine after it dries up.

thanks for the help!

Reply to
harezichi

Probably the first thing to suspect is ignition. Assuming that your '99 still uses spark wires (and not the newer coil-on plug system), those are overdue for replacement. Also, the 4.6L engine has the spark plugs facing up, which makes the wells susceptible to moisture. I would blow them with compressed air and apply a thin layer of dielectric grease to the plug and the seal at the top of the well. While at it, it's probably a good idea to replace the plugs, even if at much less than the stated 100K miles.

Reply to
Happy Traveler

Replace the COP boots; moisture is getting in there and grounding the coils. Use silicone dielectric tune-up grease on the insides of the new boots.

Reply to
Sharon Cooke

Where are the COP boots?

"Sharon Cooke" wrote: > harezichi wrote: > > I have a ?99 ford crown victoria and I am having a strange > problem > > Everytime it is real humid out or I get water under the hood > for any > > reason the car wont stay on. I will turn tghe key and it > will start > > but the secon you let the key go it will cut off unless you > hold down > > the gas. I know it is related to moisture because the car > works fine > > after it dries up. > > > > thanks for the help! > > Replace the COP boots; moisture is getting in there and > grounding the > coils. Use silicone dielectric tune-up grease on the insides > of the new > boots.

Reply to
harezichi

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

The coil-on-plug (COP) boots are what cover the little coil and sparkplug at each cylinder. If the boots aren't there, you've definitely found the problem. :)

Reply to
Sharon Cooke

bottom of the coil itself (the rubber part)

Reply to
El Bandito

Wouldn't they short out on the engine block if the boot wasn't there to prevent the spring touching the block ?

Reply to
El Bandito

They would, but the more common occurrence is this (see pix):

Sharon Cooke

Yeah, my friend's Towncar had one of those failures...

Reply to
El Bandito