Zetec surging at constant throttle and reduced power

Hi i have a 2001 ford focus zx3 with the 2-litre zetec engine. The engine has a bad surge in it when at constant road speed or when accellerating. This surge can be made much better by plugging the
vacum line going to the egr. The car has been checked for vacum leaks. had an exhaust replaced and fuel sendr replaced. I have had it to several mechanics that are unable to determine the problem. The car also seems to run rich one mechanic told me the long term fuel trim was at 18 and the car performs very sluggishly. Any advice would be very much appreicated.
can't say off hand i know what the problem is, however i can tell you that i have heard of this problem before on focus zetecs, i believe its a common fault that ford are aware of so it might be worth a phone call to your local (friendly..ha ha) dealer. regards.

http://www.autoforumz.com/Ford-Mecury-Zetec-surging-constant-throttle-reduced-power-ftopict127031.html
http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?pa9363
"" wrote: > can't say off hand i know what the problem is, however i can > tell you that i > have heard of this problem before on focus zetecs, i believe > its a common > fault that ford are aware of so it might be worth a phone call > to your local > (friendly..ha ha) dealer. > regards. >
> > > Hi i have a 2001 ford focus zx3 with the 2-litre zetec > engine. The > > engine has a bad surge in it when at constant road speed or > when > > accellerating. This surge can be made much better by > plugging the > > vacum line going to the egr. The car has been checked for > vacum leaks. > > had an exhaust replaced and fuel sendr replaced. I have had > it to > > several mechanics that are unable to determine the problem. > The car > > also seems to run rich one mechanic told me the long term > fuel trim > > was at 18 and the car performs very sluggishly. Any advice > would be > > very much appreicated. > > > > -- > > Posted using the http://www.autoforumz.com interface, at author's request > > Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet > standards > > Topic URL: > http://www.autoforumz.com/Ford-Mecury-Zetec-surging-constant-throttle-reduced-power-ftopict127031.html > > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report > abuse: > http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?pa9363
Well my local dealership is basically ** so im left hunting. I have been told its a fuel deleviery issue but also that its an egr issue which i beleive more
rennocneb wrote:

ok it could be an egr prob ... but if you unplug the egr and you say its better ?.... is it gone completely? if not its not the egr..... first thing i would check is the catalytic convertor... car is rather new for it to be shot but .... if it is plugged i can do this. you had fuel sender replaced? how about the fuel filter? air filter? plugs? start with basics. does it idle perfect? or is idle affected at all ... did problem get worse gradually? or appear overnight?.