Zetec surging at constant throttle and reduced power

Hi i have a 2001 ford focus zx3 with the 2-litre zetec engine. The engine has a bad surge in it when at constant road speed or when accellerating. This surge can be made much better by plugging the vacum line going to the egr. The car has been checked for vacum leaks. had an exhaust replaced and fuel sendr replaced. I have had it to several mechanics that are unable to determine the problem. The car also seems to run rich one mechanic told me the long term fuel trim was at 18 and the car performs very sluggishly. Any advice would be very much appreicated.

Reply to
rennocneb

can't say off hand i know what the problem is, however i can tell you that i have heard of this problem before on focus zetecs, i believe its a common fault that ford are aware of so it might be worth a phone call to your local (friendly..ha ha) dealer. regards.

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:

anon

> > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report > abuse: >
Well my local dealership is basically ** so im left hunting. I have been told its a fuel deleviery issue but also that its an egr issue which i beleive more

Reply to
rennocneb

> > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report> > abuse:

ok it could be an egr prob ... but if you unplug the egr and you say its better ?.... is it gone completely? if not its not the egr..... first thing i would check is the catalytic convertor... car is rather new for it to be shot but .... if it is plugged i can do this. you had fuel sender replaced? how about the fuel filter? air filter? plugs? start with basics. does it idle perfect? or is idle affected at all ... did problem get worse gradually? or appear overnight?.

Reply to
Rob