Air blower not heating air

Hello,
The air blower in my Focus no longer heats up the air - just blows out cold even with the switch turned to maximum on the red.
Bit of a pain trying to demist/defrost the car on these icy mornings with no
hot air to help!
Does anyone know what might be causing this? Haynes manual doesn't cover it.
Thanks in advance.
Jim

The first thing I'd look at is being low on coolant.
Tony,
Thanks - you were spot on, that's exactly what it was!
I had noticed in the last day or two the engine was running hot with the fan kicking in more frequently. I didn't immediately connect this to the problem with the blower, other than thinking it was a bit of a coincidence. Anyway, I checked the coolant reservoir this morning and it was completely empty. After it was topped up the problem with the blower was resolved.
Thanks again.
Jim

Jim wrote:

Now you need to find where the coolant is being lost. Modern cars do not "use" significant amounts of coolant; I've had my Focus for nearly nine years, and have topped up with less than half a litre in that time.
If you can't see any obvious leaks, I would advise having the cooling system pressure tested by a local garage. The cost will be trivial compared to the cost of the damage that will eventually be caused to your engine.
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.

Thanks Chris.
Yes, I'll be keeping an eye on it. Prior to today it was last topped up in April during a service, but the problem with the blower and the engine overheating has only been apparent in the last few days, so I suspect that if there is a leak (which seems highly likely unfortunately) it has only developed very recently.
Jim

Check the thermostat housing. Its a recycled plastic part that sometimes breaks just behind the rubber o-ring giving a leak that will empty the system in about 10 -20 miles and gradually get worse. they are cheap to buy but youll need to remove the alternator to fit it. When refilling the system you may have a few problems too - contact me if you get any trouble.

That's a great suggestion. My 2001 Focus Wagon started leaking from the thermostat housing just as you say. I got the part from Ford and replaced it myself with the help of informaiton gathered on the net and here. It was not a hard job, just a bit tight working conditons. I saved myself a good bit of $.
On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 09:08:08 GMT, "Paul Herwin"

same here 2002 focus se in canada 100,000km and thermostat housing went. Bought part and replaced my self. Part cost $75 more to buy in canada than in the states.

Yep, sure enough it turned out to be the thermstat housing (which was a great relief as I thought the head gasket might have blown!)
Thanks to all for your help.
Jim