Rattles at 3000rpm?

My 2000 2.0L has a loud high pitched rattle everytime I get to 3000rpm which stops as your increase the revs, it does in any gear, does'nt appear
to be anything obvious, any ideas, many thanks in advance
Happened to mine and I had to get the engine replaced - apparently a problem becoming more common as focus's get older (so I was told by the mechaninc). Ended up getting shot of my Focus for a Honda.

Well, both the SPI and Zetec motors are carryovers from the old Escort, and many of them have racked up two hundred thousand miles or more on their original engine, as have some of the first Focuses as well. Most rattles are not indicative of a dying motor.
MrDodgy wrote:

Had one of those: tic, tic, tick, TIC, TIC, TIC, tic, tic, tic, etc, ETC, etc. I'm not sure what they give the testers but it's *not* what you and I can buy. OTH, Focus engines are practically bullet proof and have the history to prove it.

A noise that only occurs at one rev range, not above or below, is a harmonic, caused by something starting to get a little loose. It is likely to be some kind of shield or panel, and not necessarily part of the motor, although it may sound like it.
If its that loud it should be possible to find the culprit from underneath by feeling around for a loose part.
Thanks for the replys, does sound as if something is loose, but having had alook underneath, there's nothing that looks out of place....mind you its not that easy with your hand on the accelerator :)

There's no substitute for getting underneath a car on a lift in a garage, with good lighting and freedom of movement. It probably won't help to run the engine, since that will simply drown out any rattles. Sometimes corner garages will let you join the mechanic underneath. I'd first check the heat shield on the exhaust.