TDCi Flashing Glow Light

Hi,
Went to start my 2002 TDCi (UK); turned over OK but wouldn't start. Noticed the glow plug light was flashing. Manual states refer to dealer if glow
plug light flashes, but IIRC, if it starts flashing "when driving". Tried again 5 mins later and all was fine, and has been fine for a couple of days since (though not gone far).
Anyone seen this before? Read on another NG that it could be that the immobiliser didn't receive the key code and engaged the immobiliser, so could be just a 1/1000 and won't happen again. (?) Sort of thing that you get paranoid about when 200 miles from home, in the dark and rain though...
Note I've spoken to the localish (and bl**dy good) Ford dealer and they are happy to take a look, but don't want to waste their time and mine if not necessary.
TIA
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Hi, I've got a 2002 TDCi and mine has done exactly the same thing about 4 or 5 time in the 12000 miles that I've covered. I just take the key out, turn it over and put it back in again and it starts. I don't think it makes any difference which way round the key is really it's just a matter of taking it out and putting it back in again. I too read somewhere that it was because the immobiliser hadn't recognised the code, and my experiences seem to bear this out. So don't worry about 200 miles from home in the pouring rain mines never failed to start. (yet!)
Jon.

Noticed
days
though...
are
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
I can rest easy now.
Thanks Jon

Tried
you
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
When HD-pumppressure is to low for starting the engine the car won't start. Common problem, known by ford. New pump is very expensive. Look in different forums, see google: TDCI starting problems

glow
so
they
not
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Hi Rik,
Thanks for the info. If it's pump pressure related, what I don't really understand is why removing the key and reinserting fixes the problem immediately - and it's done it once more since original post. Turning the ignition off and then back on does not fix the problem, AFAIK.
On the assumption that the immobiliser code is only transmitted when the key is first inserted then the immobiliser explanation does ring true.
Also, it only happens when my wife is driving, so it's probably an intermittent AWD device. (Anti-Woman Driver - Poster dons fireproof suit). ;-)

of
the
that
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Hi all,
My TDCI Focus has this same problem. I tried taking the key out and re-inserting as suggested with no luck in the 'starting up' game. It will only start the third time the key is turned. You don't even have turn the starter motor, that glow plug light just flashes away.
I cannot find any logic or reason for it, 98% of the time it starts straight away, the other 2% only on the third turn of the key. The engine can be cold or hot, it could be raining or a hot summers day, I have even tried turning devices that may drain the battery off before stopping the engine each night (such as the radio and a/c).
I haven't approached the garage yet, as I have seen in other posts that Ford seem either unable to solve the problem (no error codes), or may not be admitting it exists. It would be nice to know what the real problem is before talking to them though.
Pete.

start.
if
driving".
couple
immobiliser,
if
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

straight
cold
turning
night
Ford
You have an intermittent problem with either the pickup coil around the lock barrel, the immobiliser ECU or the signal from the key being absorbed by other things on a keyring, or a faulty chip in the key. Rule the last two out by trying the spare key on its own for afew days.
The most likely cause is a faulty pickup coil, or its multiplug making a poor connection.
Tim..
--
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com ).
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Motorsforum.com is a website by car enthusiasts for car enthusiasts. It is not affiliated with any of the car or spare part manufacturers or car dealers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.