Breakin' in me new ZTW

03 ZTW 2.0 ZTECH, auto, fully-loaded, less-sunroof. Just went over 100 miles, running like a top, no probs, pleasantly surprised with the pull from the engine (even with AC on and four adults). I switch overdrive off (wish I could keep it off--also wish I could keep recirc air on, oh well...) to keep the revs up a bit and moving around during break in (Phoenix area city driving). Have not had the opportunity to break the Pirellis loose yet--sticking like glue, so far.

Road trip up the Grand Canyon & Sedona this week--the shake down cruise. Will see some rain and cooler temps up at the higher altitudes. See y'all on Friday...

Reply to
Rick Rivard

I would be curious to know what size Pirellis you have. I assume they were the factory-equipped tires. Here in Canada, the only tires that come on the ZT series are Firestone Firehawks; whereas, Goodyears come installed on the SE series. I am not at all happy with the Firehawks and look forward to installing my Bridgestone Blizzaks for the winter. The car handled much better with the winter tires than it did with the so-called all-seasonal Firehawks. By the way, the Firehawks handled poorly in the snow, even with the Advance Trac installed. That's why I went with the Blizzaks for the winter. I assume your Pirellis are all-seasonal tires.

Reply to
John McLaughlin

Well here in Western Canada my new ZTW arrived with Pirellis. If I recall correctly, they are P205/50 R 16 all-season tires.

Reply to
Bryan Wiebe

Correct on the P6s. The trip to Flagstaff, the Grand Canyon, back to the 'staff, down Oak Creek Canyon, into and around Sedona, through Cottonwood, up the hill to Jasper... then down the bleeding hill was an awesome testament to the ZTW's glue-like handling... as well as the fabulous world-class beauty of Arizona. Just as folks have said, the Focus rolls a bit then sticks well. My spousal unit isn't much into lateral Gs B-( so the car's true capabilities won't be known until I get a chance to take my brother out sometime, but so far, so good. 800 miles, no extended cruise control yet (it works, though) and engine humming along nicely.

It was delivered with 30 psi in the tires, but 34 is recommended and I'll be pumping them up soon. My guess is that the P6's will be skis in the ice and packed snow once I head up to North Dakota. Heard good things about the Blizzaks and will probably get a couple of 15 inch steels and mount them up front and see what shakes loose. Either way, after the last eight years on a tropical island paradise, it's time to pay the piper.

Reply to
Rick Rivard

If you are going to get snow tires put them on all four wheels as this is highly recommended for a front wheel drive car. On my 2002 ZX5 I have a complete set of snows 185/75/14 on steel 14" rims and this combo works great. This saves the alloy rims from the salt. Just my 2 cents.

all-seasonal

Reply to
Michel Bernier

ND gets too cold to use salt from what I've heard--they sand. I need to check and see if 14 inch rims can be fitted to the ZTW--don't see why not, but the car cannot be purchased with them. I'd really like to put 14 inchers on, as the skinnier, the better. Also, can't put chains on Focus 15 or 16 inch wheels (according to the owner's manual...)

Reply to
Rick Rivard

ZTW and ZX5 come with the same Tire Size and Rims that is 205/50/16. You should have no problems fitting 14" rims on your ZTW. The thing that you have to look out for is the Overall Diameter (OD) of the tire. The

205/50/16 and the 185/75/14 OD are 24" therfore this will not screw up ytour speedo.
Reply to
Michel Bernier

But if you want to mount chains you should consider a slightly undersized tire. The recommendation for snow tires here in Switzerland is a 185/65-14, which is about 2% undersized, but provides necessary clearance for chains. I can live with the speedo error rather than chop up my inner wheelwells, but I use chains a lot here in the Alps. On my last car, I thrashed the inside of the wheelwell with the chains on standard-sized tires.

Stephen

Reply to
Stephen F.

Thanks guys.