ford f150 '97 4X4 locked in 4WDlow-HELP!

My 1997 ford f150 4X4 with automatic hubs is now locked in 4WD Low- I bought the truck this summer and the few times I tried the unit, everything worked fine but we had our first snow fall and I put it in 4WD in anticipation of needing it - I didn't but drove to the store and back- then parked it- it would go out of 4WD at that time - now its in 4WD Low- i drove it a 3/4 to be sure- I checked fuses and tapped on the elec motor on the transfer case -HELP- i need to drive this but can't

Reply to
Roger Brame

My '99 F350 gets stuck too, putting it in neutral and locking the parking (emergency) brake then moving the switch in and out of 4whl low sometimes works to get it out.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

sometimes

There are also some magic words that you can mumble under your breath, that will help. The exact phrase escapes me at the moment but, it contains at least 8 of the 12 words, you can't say on TV.

anticipation of

transfer

Reply to
Tyrone

Oh yeah, I left those out.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

If you have it in 4wd when you don't need 4wd, you are binding up the drivetrain something awful. Try reversing some to relieve the bind, and maybe it will shift out of 4wd.

Keep using 4wd on non-slippery surfaces and you will soon be replacing a transfer case...

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

That's why I got me '02 with a big ol' lever stickin' out of the tranny hump for my transfer case control. It's the "Armstrong" version. :)

Reply to
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego

could be alot of things ,, most of the time it is the motor on the tranfers case,,, try tapping it,,

Reply to
bh--