1990 buick regal steering column smoke

I was a bit dismayed to see some smoke coming from my steering column. The turn signals do not seem to work either. Probably a short. How can I open up the cover?
Thanks,
Paul
Probably the turn signal switch is shot. You'll likely have to remove the wheel to access it..
--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada

Thanks for the notes--
How tough is it to get the steering wheel off. I have modest mechanic skills....
Paul
You may need a steering wheel puller and a tilt spring compressor if it's like the older cars. Does it have an air bag?
Gary
http://community.webtv.net/GARY35619/CHECKTHISOUT
If it's like my 1989 Regal with tilt, I didn't need any special tools for the spring. The spring is held with a twist lock cap with a square hole. I used a socket extension to push it down and turn it. GW
GARY wrote:

On 20 Aug 2003 05:43:17 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (paul) wrote:

FWIW, I will be buying a steering wheel remover. This job is a PITA unless you have one. Unless you have airbags in that car, this would be a great time to change your steering wheel to a Grant or other hot rod - type wheel.
Vuarra
On 19 Aug 2003 07:33:16 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (paul) wrote:

You _will_ have to pull the steering wheel off to get to the turn signal harness.
Amazing how mine just went this week as well... must be those damn Canadians taking all of the electricity again :)
*No, that was just a friendly dig, not a reason for flames*
Vuarra