1997 Buick Regal ball joints

I have just been told by my Goodyear shop that one of my ball joints(driver's side) is in danger of total failure.(car has 165k miles)
They quoted me $500 for doing both from lower ball joints.
I have heard some noise coming from that area of the front for some time so I do not doubt the diagnosis, just wonder about the price.
Can anyone tell me if $500 is reasonable for doing both front lower ball joints?
Thanks,
Ron T
This is a 2.4 hour job total, plus about 60 bucks each retail for the best quality joint, 500 is unheard of!!

-

Goodyear shops are not noted for their low prices. You can probably get it done for $300, maybe less. Ask at a local shop.
Thanks for the encouragement guys.
Today I experienced ball joint success. The first independent shop I contacted checked out the car and gave me a price of $305.
Goodbye Goodyear except for tires. And I will shop those also.
Ron T

Glad you found a good price. As for tires, there are plenty of small dealers that offer better pricing and better service than the big chains.
We have such a shop in our town. My daughter had a flat that could not be repaired. He did not have the tire in stock, but he put a used tire on the wheel so she would not be driving without a spare until he got one the next day. No additional charge. He did not make as much money on that deal, but he did make a customer for life.

Sure - bring it to me. I'll do a pair of lower ball joints every day for $500 a pop.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net